XXX

"Who was who?" He asked back puzzled. "The woman you took to bed here in our marital home. The maid?" She waited on every word he was to say. "I will have all staff replaced; you need not worry about who the woman was my lady." She stood still wreathing, trying to breath, trying as hard as she could to focus and yet all she saw was pain, even when Devyn walked over to the chair by the fireplace. All she saw was brutal pain that tore her heart in piece by piece. He was willing to protect the identity of the woman he had slept with than expose her. "If that be all my lord," She turned for the door.

"My mother has invited us home. We shall be journeying as early as down. I expect you will be ready before then?"

"Very well."

Emilia walked the small distance to her room and felt exhausted, drained beyond recognition and she knew sleep was the very last thing on her mind no matter how hard she would try. She allowed the tears run down her cheeks and the cold sobs rack her body.

Papa,

I haven't heard from you, and I do not know whom to turn to other than you. I feel I am a burden to my husband and even the people underneath me, underappreciated, but worst of all papa I feel so very much insecure. Where will I go to if things take a turn for the worse while still with my husband?

Who will be willing to accept me into their homes without fear that my ill reputation will not soil them?

Please papa reply me soon, at least reassure me that if things take a turn for the worse, your doors to my childhood home are open and welcoming.

Emilia.

Emilia sat by the window in her cold room and even though the snow painted the ground a marvellous colour of white, it was a sight that brought sadness to her heart. She had been up even before the last servant went to bed and at a certain point, she had stopped caring about how terrible she looked. Her room was still a huge mess and granted a new chamber maid had walked into wake her up.

There was a knock on her door a second time and she turned to watch a figure with brown locks walk into the room. "I shan't be eating thank you." She ignored the figure and turned back out to the window. If she paid enough attention, she could her the whining of the horses being pulled to the front doors protesting at riding in the cold. Even they cursed at being out so early in the morning. "My lady."

"And I said I will not be eating." There was a moment of awkward silence and Emilia felt the uncomfortable feeling down her gut, her stomach ached, and she couldn't help the judgmental pinches that itched her skin.

"What do you want?" It was a strain to hear herself talk, and worse she knew it would grow to be an even bigger strain. "I-" But even the figure was unsure of what she wanted. She cleared her throat and then came a third knock on her door, but for some unknown reason, Emilia was eager to hear what her servant had to say.

"My lady, the coach is ready, and his lordship awaits your presence." She nodded. "Tell Callam to prepare me a separate coach, I shan't be ridding with his lordship." The woman curtsied and closed the door behind her. "If you have nothing of importance to tell me-" "I fear my lady I hoard a secret that might crush you, and I fear I might have been the curse of your failing marriage." At that Emilia laughed a bitter sweet laugh, one that came from the depth of her soul, accompanied by pain and anguish of the tears she had cried blaming herself over and over again. And if a woman who wasn't she took the blame, then what was she to do.

"Don't be ridiculous."

She picked up her coat and it was then she saw the small glance of fair skin. Her mood changed and her mouth soured. "I care not to know." Realization hit her hard in her face. "So long as I never get the chance of seeing your face, I am fine dying with the thoughts that you my dear betrayed me."