XXII

She approached the first lady she could reach and knelt before her. A lad not more than twenty lay stiff in her arms as she cried. He was covered from head to toe in soot with his eyes as an exception as he had used his hands to protect them. The hems of his trousers were burnt and his legs had a scaring that could have only been caused by the roaring roasting fire. The woman's sobs rocked her body and despite the soft comforts of the rest of the mourning party the woman refused to stop.

Even if she was offered money for her troubles, it wasnt enough to bring back her dead child.

And what could she do in such a situation that would dry the woman's eyes? It wasn't as if she could bring back to dead could she?

"Lady Seymour." She turned for the priest who stood behind her. "We didn't expect to see you here. My lady you might fall ill from all that has occurred today. Would you like to take rest?"

Displeasing looks settled on her, judging her and an itch began underneath her skin. "I believe I have as much right to be here." Even with the way the people looked at her.

Eating her inside out.

"The boy is dead. She murmured unsure of what else to say and watched slowly as a group of men came in to separate the woman and from her child. "Indeed he and it is such a loss. He was a very fine child, strong and healthy. You should have seen how he helped at the church, especially during masses where he got to eat puddings made by the women in attendance."

"I guess mishaps happen." She murmured truly at a loss of words.

"Or perhaps his lordship couldn't provide suitable working conditions for his miners." She turned to look at the priest and even if he didn't voice it out, it was there written in plain sight, the man was filled with anger. "Truly, I am sorry for all this. I-" "It isn't your fault my lady. A mass shall be prepared tomorrow for the dead and they will be laid to rest." She nodded as she felt the first burn of tears. "And I shall tell cook to prepare something for the day."

"Thank you." The preacher walked over to the boy separated from his wailing mother and before the white cloth was fully lain on his head, he run a white feather along the boy's arms. He turned to the rest of the people. "The last ritual rights will be carried out this evening, for those interested in the practice you are required to come to the churchs courtyard. Good even."

Many including herself watched as the young lad as well as the many other dead wrapped in white clothes were taken to the church courtyard. They were placed in a circle of lit flames and incense burned on the tall stands by their side. Smelling sticks of vanilla were held by the many mourners and it was a dragging show of watching the priest cleanse each body with a pure white feather.

The people followed in his wake, placing a single coin in the bareness of the dead's hands, it was a slow march of feet and loud cries as almost every woman fell at the feet of their loss.

The wailing mother approached her. "All this could have been prevented and my son would have been alive had it not been for the evil money and the false occupation his lordship offered!" She spat at the floor and looked Emilia deep in her eyes. "You will never know what the true feeling of having a child taken away from you is. You shall never know the true feeling of having a child." She shoved past her and followed after the moving party.

Indeed she didn't know how it felt like losing a child, but she did know pain.

Especially after the fact that she hadn't been able to bear her husband a child.

"Sixteen graves, we lost sixteen men." Emilia felt his presence even before he made himself known. "They blame you for their deaths dont they?" His hands came up to her and placed a warm blanket on her shoulders. They both stared silently into the courtyard that had the preacher praying for the lives of those injured, those dead and the family members.