XLI

To hell with her father's manipulation and damned was her brother who never for once ever showed her an eye lash of goodwill.

"I am sure father would find a way of selling her, his priced possession to any bidder willing to buy her off of his hand with an interest rate." Just as he did me. She walked close to him so close that she could smell of the soaps he had used and in the most threatening of voices continued "As to any other rumor, the ton has already done their worst. And in case you have already forgotten, I am lady Emilia Seymour. I have my husband protecting me." She eyed the length of his figure before pushing past him for the door.

But that didn't sop the smirk that he wore on his lips. "Yes, there is no argument that you are indeed the lady of Cornsdorf however the question remains-" He stalked to the low burning fire where he dumped the notes and letters in his hands.

"How far is Devyn willing to go to protect you? Think on that Emilia."

"I was searching for you in the hall- Emilia-"

"Devyn, Abbington was just leaving."

She stood right besides her husband as the lord walked out of the room. "I believe we have more to converse about my lady, Seymour." He bowed before turning a corner and heading down the long flights of stairs.

"What happened?" She felt the sheer fear and panic in his voice with the way he held her hands. "I believe lord Abbington came with the agenda of trying to blackmail me into something." She let out a breath and clamed her beating heart. "And what did you tell him?"

"No of course, I told him to do his worst. He is corky just like you said."

But Devyn knew that was only a dare to lord Abbington. The man was nothing but bad news which he had experienced more than a handful of times and he would indeed do his worst and what could be his worst, well the mere attention of Elizabeth being with child for him was rumor enough to not only destroy his fortune but also Emilia's name bring her reputation to sheer tatters.

"Perhaps we shouldn't attend the ball?"

"And give Abbington the satisfaction of him putting fear in me? Nonsense! I have lived a coward all my life and I am not going to allow some mere lord tell me what I can or cannot do. Damned is he if he tells the judging ton that I am not the biological daughter of the lord Berrycloth. Any sane person with eyes would have come to such conclusion quite a long time ago."

"No Emilia, it is not that." He spoke so quietly that it distracted her from her own raged breathing.

"Then what is it?"

How could he tell her that his past mistake, his mistress was under the same roof with them, carrying his child and related to Abbington.

How could he bring himself to tell her that she had threatened to expose their affair which had happened months before he realised his wife was the only person he wanted to see with his child.

How could he tell her that there was a huge possibility of her image being more than just tarnished with the mere look she gave him, the same look that he had received during the meeting at the church in town as if accusing him of doing his pleasing irrespective of her feelings or wants.

"What is it Devyn?"

"Nothing."

How could he tell her that he was going to lose her.

"You are keeping something from me Devyn and I do not like it."

"If it was worth your knowledge, you would have known Emilia, other than that there is nothing to discuss." He made his way towards the stairs but stopped when he realised she wasnt following him.