XXVIII

That teased him and he couldn't help it when he turned her on her back and suckled on her erect buds.

"Ah if it isn't the lord of Cornsdorf, what brings you all the way to these parts of town?" "Charles." Devyn gave as a way of greeting. "It feels so good seeing a familiar face."

"Indeed, it does especially now that you are amongst a crown of thieves most willing to steal from your fortune after the most unfortunate attack on the mine."

"Do not remind me of that." The man drank from his glass draining every little drop till there was barely anything left. "How are you faring? I haven't seen you this disorganised in a bit." Devyn accepted a glass and walked towards the staking tables. He ignored him.

"Who are we betting on?" "I thought you had sworn off horse betting?" "I simply want to know the fool losing money tonight." "Well in that case, lord Abbington. He has a stake of half a thousand and," Charles whispered. "he has half of the gentlemen in this building betting on him and his horses, obliviously the old crane is bragging about his forth coming fortunes. But you see that fellow over there, lord Demswoth's son. Now he believes he has the best stakes at hand, even though the numbers claim other wise. But what can I say? The young fool doesnt know the games like we do."

"Um."

"But I also hear tale lord Abbington has been using unjust methods to get the numbers on his horses high up, some including Lasix." "It comes to no surprise old money will always be old money and Abbington will always find a way to keep himself at the top." Devyn took his time reading the scores of the past games. "Lord Abbington's horse the lady, has won three races out of five so far, lord Cranberry has topped off third with the horses from Ireland coming in second and lord Demsworth's son just coming in about a near four, though the races arent over yet. Will you be staying for them?" Devyn watched the gathering of men in their finest suits and even finer drink.

"No, but I have more pressing matters at hand, my mother has requested for me to come home for her new year's ball."

"That wixen?"

"She is still my mother Charles."

"Apologies. I believe so you will be attending then?"

"Seeing as I haven't seen her in nearly a decade, yes I shall." A young woman walked by with tall glasses of bubbly wine in her hands. She placed a glass before Devyn then one at Charles' side before settling herself comfortably on his lap. "What?" Charles questioned. "You have yours and I have mine." Devyn nodded not seeming in the least bit bothered by the woman's wonton behaviours in public. He had had his fair share and honestly there was only one woman that could entice him. However when a lady of slim figure and brown locks caught his attention he couldn't help the curiosity written on his face.

"She has been frequenting the gentlemans club for a while now, you would think she has business with the great many lords."

He remembered the letter in his pocket and the single name Beth written. "For her sake, we drink to the best of luck with whatever it is she is up to." The man Charles looked at him oddly yet still raised his glass. "Are you not even so little as curious to find out what she is doing-"

"Charles, a woman of her standing is old enough to make discussions and spoil her own reputation."

"Even if you helped soil her." It was an accusation that came from his friend as he brought his glass to his lips and Devyn thought it better to ignore the man even if he did soil her reputation.

"My lady, I hope you are fairing alright. You have been abed since morning." One of the maids asked her and she was surprised that Lily wasn't the first to come to her chambers. They were back at the house and the reality of what could have happened to her had she walked in her room, despite the warm sexing she received from Devyn had her in a spoiled mood all through the morning. And what made it all worse was that her husband was all gone by the time she had awoken. Luckily for her, the snow wasn't as terrible as was predicted.