XLIII

His eyes sought the room catching lord Abbington's figure as he whispered something to a server. An envelope was passed from her hand to his and a few coins were slipped discreetly into hers. Something in his stomach dropped and he felt a noise in his head that he even missed whatever it was that Emilia said. As if feeling his presence, lord Abbington turned and raised a glass up to him, smiling before finishing the very last drop or wine in the tall flute. The slow waltz ended and Devyn was forced to bow even though his eyes wanted to follow lord Abbington's presence.

"Excuse me," He whispered to Emilia as the dance floor prepared for the next group. The crowd was a haze of skirts and even if he stomped his way here and there, he doubted the crowd would part way for him. "I believe I should have the hand of her ladyship for a dance now," Devyn force. "Or must I gain the permission of his lordship first?"

"I believe I was going to ask Mily for a dance after the waltz." Benjamin spoke catching the attention of the near crowd.

"Well, I was here first. Perhaps after this dance. I do after all have to congratulate her ladyship on this joyful occasion." Abbington continued.

"And she hasn't given you any sort of consent, so I believe you have no right my good sir." Benjamin defended.

Again, a dreading feeling clogged Devyn's gut and he found himself panicking. Eyes were fully on them, and Emilia was the centre of attention something he was sure she didn't want. He could feel the cold stares and whispers that began, the soft gossip and what horrid rumors the women would spread. "Devyn what is going on?" He too could tell she panicked and feared, he could tell she was choked with emotions bursting to come out and the trust alongside those few moments they shared were going to come to an end. "Emilia, I can explain."

"I wouldn't want to make up much of a scene my lady, this is your mother's ball after all, and it would be very rude of me taking all the attention from her." Abbington turned for the now silent room that watched them closely. The music had long stopped and the crowd of hundreds of eyes had their gaze solely focused on them. The feeling of childhood nostalgia came crushing back on him though this time, he didn't have his father's angry eyes damning him to hell.

"Come with me Emilia, we can go somewhere quiet, you do not need to-"

"My lords and ladies, the fine gentry of the evening, her ladyship, the lovely hostess of this specular ball. It brings me such great pleasure to announce the wonderous news."

"Emilia." And yet she didn't move, as a matter of fact her legs glued to the grounds as her eyes watched the fast movement of Abbington's lips, waiting on his every word. "I believe the Seymours, after the tragic news of the lady of the estates being unable to bare child, I believe a babe is on the way!"

Their was stunned confused silence.

"That is not true Emilia." He tried to touch her arm, and she moved a step back. "I was going to tell you Emilia I just needed a bit of time."

"As it turns out, Devyn here is going to do right by my cousin and grant her his last name. The new lady of the house will be returning to Cornsdorf earliest by the start of the new year." Abbington concluded satisfied with himself and his announcement. A small nod of agreement was shared between himself and Elisabeth and a warning crossed his features.

"Emilia."

"You have a lover? You have a babe lord Seymour?" He watched the tears fall down her soft cheeks staining them with red and embarrassment. Anger wasn't an emotion she felt, she was hurt, and he could see it clear as day. "A mistress actually." She corrected herself. "And she is with your child Devyn."

"And here I thought the scandal between your husband and lady Clara Leavening was way worse." A gasp escaped the lips of the women as well as dramatic men. Abbington just couldn't shut it.