Chapter 10

"Dang it. Why are these guys stronger then usual?" Zero mumbled after landing another punch. But not a second later the monster rose back up and lunged at him.

"But don't they look strange to you?" Ginga voiced as he and Orb combined their ultra beams to destroy a monster. He did have a point. The monsters were more ferocious and tougher to beat. And it didn't seem like the devil splinters had a part in it.

The aliens that escaped from prison, comprising of planet invaders and some of Belials former associates, were quiet. Too quiet. Normally, they would go on boasting about their next big plan. But this time, they just stayed silent and fought.

That alone should've been an indicator that something was wrong.

During the fight, Chiara caught sight of a monster about to attack Zero from behind while he was still busy dealing with the one infront of him.

"Zero! Duck!" She yelled. Said ultra didn't need to be told twice as he instinctively rolled away from between the two monsters. Just in time to see Chiara fire her ultra beam. It hit both monsters, effectively turning them to ash.

Then she went over to Zero and offered him a hand to help him up.

"Thanks. But I obviously had that covered." He said to which made her giggle.

"Your welcome."
...
...
...

"A little help here would be nice lovebirds!"

"We are not-" the words died out when they saw a monster,bigger than the rest, going crazy. That was the only way they could describe it.

Chiara drew out her saber from her brace while Zero already had his sluggers in hand. Together, Chiara landed a strong blow from the front while Zero's sluggers struck it from the back.

That semed to be the last of the monsters. As for the aliens however, they suddenly halted their attack and stood their like statues.

"What's going o-" suddenly they materialised into black smoke and shot towards the same direction. A high cliff not far away from them. The black smoke was then collectively sucked into a red stone attached to a silver sceptre.

On the cliff, a figure emerged from the fog holding said sceptre. It was an alien woman decked out in gold and red armour. She stared down at them with gleaming red eyes as her smile revealed a row of white and sharp teeth.

"Welcome!"

"Just who the heck are you?" Zero questioned, getting straight to the point.

"Me? Oh I'm just your average, every star empress of the dark galactic empire. Nera's my name and spreading darkness is my game." She proudly announced.

"Galactic emp- are you in cahoots with Belial?"

To her credit, she seemed genuinely offended by the question.

"How dare you affiliate me with that fallen ultra? He could never compare to my darling, my emperor."

"Oh yeah? Where's your darling now?" Chiara surprised herself with that line. She never really engaged in small talk with the enemy before. Zero must've rubbed off on her.

However,it made Nera smile even more.

"That is why you're here. Honestly, I just wanted Zero and I admit, I might've over done it with the monsters and helping these low lifes escape prison." She said while twirling her sceptre.

Chiara couldn't help but focus on the red stone on the sceptre. Her hands were slightly trembling from the uneasiness she felt and she didn't know why.