Chapter 28

"Dad!"

Chiara watched silently from outside the ward as all the patients that had their brains fried slowly but surely came back and reunited with their loved ones. To her knowledge, Conner had brought M'gann here a while back to fix the damage she had done. But they waited too long. The damage was almost irreversible. Almost.

Fortunately, with her new powers and after going through all that she could find on mind related magic, Chiara was able to heal them. It took about the same amount of energy to heal physically injuries but seeing families of the victims reunite was worth it.

Sensing some presence behind her, she turned around and came face to face with Conner who was coming down the hall. Slowly, Chiara put a finger to her mouth as a sign telling him to be quiet.

He initially looked perplexed by her presence. But confusion turned to shock when he saw the patients up and about as of their minds weren't fried.

"Let's talk somewhere else."

☆☆☆

Chiara brought Conner all the way to a cafe to talk. As soon as their drinks were served, they went to business instantly.

"How-"

"Magic. I used magic to heal their minds." The fairy explained curtly as she sipped her hot chocolate.

"Wait, so you knew too?" Conner questioned.

"Yup. Saw her fry the brains of an innocent security guard once. And I knew that you knew too. I obviously couldn't say anything since no one would believe me so I hoped that you would talk some sense into her. But then..."

"She fried Kaldur's mind when she thought he killed Artemis." He finished.

"Which led to a whole new set of problems if you recall."

"It wasn't that bad...I guess."

"Deathstroke kidnapped M'gnn to fix Kaldur. And in the process I got slammed by him. And don't even get me started on the whole blowing up the cave thing." Chiara said blankly.

"Hey, I was innocent. I was kept in the dark too."

"I know and...I'm sorry." She admitted.

"Sorry for what?" He asked.

"I know I blew up at everyone earlier but you didn't deserve that. Out of everyone, you and Beast Boy were the only ones that treated me liked I mattered..."

To show him what she meant, scenes of the past played out in the reflection Conner's drink, from the moment she was introduced to when the Justice League took her away. They were simple gestures, things you would normally do for a friend. But it obviously mattered more to Chiara since it held a stark contrast to the ill treatment the rest of the Team gave her.

"Chiara, I'm sorry I should've done more to help..."

"Don't worry about it,I don't blame you. Minus Beast Boy, it was you against the whole Team and Justice League. I didn't want to cause a rift so I just... kept quiet and took it all." Chiara said almost bitter sweet as her chocolate drink.

They said in a somewhat comfortable silence. Somewhat since Conner still looked antsy whereas Chiara continued sipping her drink with a serene look on her face.

"So, is Dick still butthurt about Zero and me?" She suddenly asked. And the look he gave her was quizzical

"I can practically feel him broading in self pity even from another room."she stated. And as much as he felt bad for his vigilante friend, Conner couldn't help but chuckle.

When Chiara and Dick first got together, he had a bad feeling that it wouldn't end well. With Dick's history of dating along with his position as team leader and Chiara being at odds with the Team, a breakup was bound to happen. He just didn't think it would end so horribly.

"The thing about Dick tricking you into dating him, that isn't true. Atleast that's what he says."

"....I know. I heard him arguing with Batman about it. Although I hate him now, I also pity him. Batman using him like that, he never saw it coming." She said in pity.

"He may have genuinely liked me-"

"Still does." Conner added and received a glare in return.

"-but he sure wasn't as serious as he says he is throughout our relationship."

"What do you mean? He wouldn't stop smiling whenever he saw you."

Chiara then stared at him, contemplating whether or not she should tell him or outright show him. She figured the easiest and clearest solution would be better.

So once again the liquid in Conner's cup rustled as another scene played out. He brought it closer and squinted his eyes and saw...

"What the- Seriously?! In my drink!" He cried.

"What? You asked me so I showed you that he wasn't as serious about me as he made himself out to be." She said clearly amused.

"That's just gross." He added while looking into a replay of Dick and Zatanna. Fortunately for his eyes, they weren't doing anything explicit. But the flirting they were doing would make anyone uncomfortable and get the wrong idea. Although in the far corner, he could see another figure standing by the doorway.

It was Chiara. And she looked so devastated.

"Don't look so sad man. The past is the past. Sure I feel like giving them a smack down everytime I see them, but I'm happy with Zero and I'm not letting them ruin that." Chiara said, noticing the sad and guilty looked on his face. Though his mouth quirked up at her words.

"Were you always this savage?"

"I'd say that one, after several near death experiences I decided not to be a doormat anymore. And two, I've been spending too much time with Zero." She admitted with a soft laugh. It was nice talking to him. She never got to do much of it in the past in fear of retaliation from M'gnn. But now, if the martian wants to come at her then so be it. She'll be ready.

"For what it's worth, I'm glad you're alive and doing well." He admitted.

"...Thanks. I appreciate that." Chiara said with a smile.

"Now that that's out of the way, mind telling me how you ended up half fairy half alien?" He asked playfully which made her giggle.

"Well, it started when..."

☆☆☆

Back at the Cave,the atmosphere was tense as vigilante and ultra stood glaring at each other.

"You've got to be kidding me." Artemis said exasperatedly

"Should we do something?" Wonder Girl asked.

"We would if we could. But we're afraid Zero might go Strong Corona mode."

_________________________________________

During her time with the Team, she found a friend in Conner. Even then she mostly stirred clear to avoid troubling him since the Team didn't like her.

The same goes for Beast Boy. He's a sweet kid and was the most friendly with Chiara. He couldn't see the threat that everyone made her out to be and thought they were being ridiculous. (Which they were)

But like with Conner, she stirred clear to make sure she didn't trouble him.