The Loss

After Voldemort's speech about giving Harry one hour to meet him, she made her way down to the Great Hall with Harry and Ron. On the left were people in cots surrounded by healers and Madam Pomfrey. Hermione's gaze switched to the right as she heard Ron screaming and running over to a group that surrounded a tall ginger.

Hermione stood frozen as she caught sight of George breaking down over his twin's body. Fred laid there, motionless on a blanket on the floor, a smile still on his face, only a few feet away from the bodies of Tonks and Remus. The whole Weasley family stood around the twins holding each other up, trying to deal with their grief. Hermione's knees started trembling and she slowly backed away with her eyes trained on Fred. Her heart broke into a million pieces. She couldn't be here. She needed to leave. Fred. Fred was gone.

Hermione's breath hitched when George's eyes found her. She felt Harry move next to her as he put an arm around her waist. When she saw the heartbroken twin, she couldn't breathe anymore. She started hyperventilating. Everything turned hazy and with a last look at Fred everything turned black. She faintly heard someone calling her name, but then nothing.

Hermione was running, running from the inquisitor squad. Someone betrayed them. Only a couple minutes earlier her otter Patronus was chasing Ginny's horse around the come and go room. She heard several footsteps coming closer behind her and she fastened her step. Her side started to sting as she ran as fast as possible. Before she could round a corner, a hand grabbed her and pulled her into a cupboard. She started punching the person in front of her as she couldn't see them in the dark.

"Granger, relax, it's me."

"Fred?" She stopped her punching. He chuckled.

"Yeah, how did you know?"

"I-" Before she could answer Fred's finger was on her lips, hushing her. She then noticed their close proximity as the cupboard was really small. She heard yelling outside and a couple of guys passed the cupboard. When the hall was quiet again, Fred removed his hand.

"Where's George?"

"I lost him. He's probably already in the common room." He added uncertain.

"He'll be fine. He's a Weasley twin after all." She said with a grin in her voice.

"You're right as always." She felt him flick his wand and a small light illuminated the room. She saw him grinning down at her. "And I must say Granger you have a pretty adorable Patronus."

"Thanks, yours too."

"Just like his owner." He winked at her.

She rolled her eyes at him but smiled. "You're so full of it."

"Who do you think rat us out?"

"I don't know, we will know soon enough though." She smirked up at him. He cocked an eyebrow. "You remember that paper I made you sign at Hog's Head?" He nodded. "I kind of jinxed it."

"What?" Fred asked in disbelief.

"Yeah." Hermione blushed. "If one of us tried to betray us, boils will appear on his or her face and spell out SNEAK."

"Hermione Granger! I couldn't be more prouder!" Fred laughed and picked her up and twirled her around in the tiny closet. She laughed with him. "Put me down, Fred."

Fred lowered her back to the ground, his hands resting on her hips. Their eyes locked on each other. They heard someone coming closer and soon after, they saw the handle on the door shake. Before Hermione could act or register what was happening, Fred bends his head, whispered "Sorry" before leaning in.