Fake Lovegoods, A Time Turner And A Cupboard

The day dragged on, but they had to wait. George suggested they'd go a bit early to Hogsmeade and grab something to eat at the three broomsticks. That's where they are now; a bottle of butterbeer in front of them with an untouched plate of fish and chips, both too nervous to eat. Hermione's bag was full of things they might need, including the vials of memories and the letter they wrote, George's pocket was stuffed with products of the shop. After an hour of glancing nervously around, they gave up and they went for a walk around Hogsmeade. Hermione was looking at the window of the bookshop when George pulled her away, into an alley.

"George?" Hermione asked before George placed his hand over her mouth and pointed to the main street. After a couple of seconds, she heard Harry's voice, then he came into view with Hagrid. George pushed them even further in the alley as they passed. Neither of them noticed them in the dark. When they passed, George removed his hand and let out a sigh of relief.

"That was close. Maybe we should head out to Honey Dukes." George asked as he glanced around the now empty main street. Hermione looked at her watch and nodded. She twirled around nervously with the two time-turners that hung around her neck.

"Yes, let's go." She hurried to the store with George hot on her heels. Hermione started to go to the front door, but George steered her to the back entrance. With a wave of his wand the door flew open and they slipped in. George heard the owner talk to a customer and quickly opened the hatch so they could climb in. They walked about forty-five minutes before they reached the castle. Hermione took the cloak and map out of her beaded bag when they reached the statue. They checked the map and saw that nobody was in sight. Most of the students were in bed or in the common room, only a handful of prefects were roaming the castle as were a few teachers. George took one secret passageway after another, while he checked the map. They finally reached the right corridor, but when they reached it, the corridor was still in ruins. Both stopped breathing as they reached the spot where Fred died. Hermione laid her hand on one of the boulders as she chocked on her breath, tears falling down her face. George was next to her in an instant and wrapped his arm around her. She could feel George shake as he guided them away from the corridor. Their plan to use the cupboard right where it happened, crumbled and they needed to find another place.

"What do we do now?" Hermione asked as she tried to control her breathing.

George grabbed both of her shoulders. "We'll just take a cupboard a little further. We calculated these things in remember?" He looked over her head and dragged her with him. George opened another cupboard and slid in, closing the door after Hermione. "Should we use the cloak or a disguise?"

"I think a disguise would work best. If we use the cloak, we don't have enough mobility and in the midst of a war no one is going to pay that much attention on us if we don't attack them." Hermione answered as she found her composure again. George and Hermione glanced at their watch at the same time before looking back to each other and gave a small nod. Hermione pulled out the turner and placed it on both of their necks, George had to bend down a bit for her to reach it probably. She gave them back the blond hair, putting her hair up in a tight bun.

"Here goes nothing." She whispered as she looked in his eyes. He gave her a small smile and their gaze fell on the turner as she started twisting it. The inside of the cupboard didn't change much, they only saw flashes of Filch and a few house elves as they grabbed some cleaning supplies. Then the turner stopped and they heard the rage of the war going on behind the door. They took a deep breath and George squeezed her hand before she opened the door.

With their notebook, writing to Fred – and George- was easier than sending and waiting on owls. Everyone at school was so used to Hermione with her head in the books they didn't even give her a second glance. The weeks crept by, and she saw Fred two more times after Christmas. The Hogsmeade trips were canceled after what happened to Katie, but Fred convinced her to see him, so he broke into the castle to see her, meeting her at the room of requirement. The next time they saw each other was when Ron was poisoned. George and Fred got their dad's Patronus and apparated to Hogsmeade. They ran towards the castle and crashed into the hospital wing. Their mum stood up immediately and hugged them tight.

"He'll be alright. Harry saved him." She cried on their shoulders.

"What happened?" George asked as they both surveyed the room. Around Ron's bed sat Hermione and Ginny, eyes red due to tears. Bill and Arthur sat on the bed next to their little brother. Molly sat down next to her husband as Arthur started filling them in. Even though he was listening he was looking at the girl he loved.

"Are you alright?" He mouthed to her. She smiled softly at him and gave him a nod. Fred turned his attention back to his parents.

"We'll walk them back to the common room mum." George said as he gestured to Harry, Hermione and Ginny.

"Thank you dear." His mum smiled at him as they made their way out the hospital wing.

"Hogwarts safest place, my ass!" Fred grumbled next to Hermione as they walked back to the common room. The castle was empty as it neared twelve o'clock. Hermione reached over and grabbed his hand. He looked at the intertwined fingers in surprise before he found her brown eyes looking up at him.

"George? We'll be right up." Hermione called to the twin in front of them. George looked back and gave a short nod before leading his sister and wonderboy up the steps. Hermione dragged him behind her into an empty classroom, she closed the door behind them and leaned against the door, looking back at their still intertwined hands. Fred took a step closer and buried his head in her neck. Hermione's hands clasped around him immediately and pulled him close. After a few minutes Fred pulled back and placed his head on hers.

"Can you just drop out of school and come live with me and Georgie? Then I'll know you're safe ." He whispered.

"Fred... you know I can't do that. You know I was never safe with Harry and Ron as my best friends." She chuckled trying to lighten the mood, but it didn't work. "Fred, hey look at me." She tipped his head with her finger. "Ron is going to be okay... I'm okay."

Fred searched her eyes for a moment before he picked her up, her legs automatically wrapping themselves around his waist. He pushed her gently against the door as he kissed her passionately.

"I love you." He whispered between kisses.

"I love you too." She answered as he looked in his eyes, full of love and worry. She kissed him again and they stayed in that position for a while with her legs still securely around him, her hands in his hair. When they both calmed down about the events that day and the heavy snogging session, they walked back to the common room, fingers intertwined. When they stepped through the portrait hole, Ginny and George were sound asleep in each other's arms near the fireplace. Harry was sleeping on one of the love seats at their feet, a pile of drool on the arm rest. Fred walked over to the sofa and laid down. He gestured for her to join him, when she rested her head against his chest, he conjured blankets for all five of them. He kissed her head gently and whispered. "Goodnight love."

"Goodnight, Freddie." Only a few seconds later and they were sound asleep. The only noise that filled the common room was their even breathing and the sound of raindrops against the windows.