Heart Open

The next following days were tough, especially for Amora, who had spent a few nights away from everyone to mourn the loss of her friend. Amora was just starting to revert back to her normal self, but everyone could see that she was still deeply affected by Reinette's death. She spent most of her time in her room, playing different instruments, or at the pond, where she would swim for hours, thinking about her dear friend.

Rose quickly tried to get the brunette out of her funk by always inviting her to do things together. Rose planned many sleepovers and girls only events; they even managed to get Mickey involved, which Amora much appreciated, especially when they convinced him to let them do his makeup. Rose even helped her get into songwriting so that she had a way to vent out her emotions and would come up with silly songs to sing to each other. 

Mickey would take her to the Tardis's arcade and watch action movies to take her mind off everything, even letting her play on his gaming station that the Tardis provided. When things got too much for her, he would tell her stories of his life to pass the time; though he would exaggerate at times to make her laugh. They would have deep conversations about being left out at times when the Rose and Doctor would mention past trips in front of them, though they made sure to do the same with stories from when they would hang out on Earth without them. 

The Doctor stayed by Amora's side, even when they all went on different adventures, he made sure that Amora was right next to him. When the others would go to sleep, Amora would invite him over to nap with her or to just stay up and talk about their home planets, though the Doctor mostly listened.  He taught her some of the equipment on the Tardis and what they did, even though she knew that he did not know what half of the stuff did, she still played along and would nod her head when he turned to her. 

Amora decided to spend some time alone at the library, reading an author that the Doctor recommended her. She never heard of Shakespeare before, but she enjoyed reading his plays and sonnet, even though the language confused her a bit.  

"Ah I see you took my advice. Genius he is, we must visit him one day." The Doctor said, strolling into the library. Amora just hummed at she continued reading the ending of the two young lovers from rivaling families; they never get these types of stories back on her planet. All love stories have to have a happy ending, as love is the true reasoning for living and must not be used to discouraged or be tainted by others. However, even though the two young teens did not live, Amora enjoyed how the story brought her another view of love, a view that she would most likely never see. 

"It is quite good. Thank you for recommending it to me." Amora said, closing the book and putting it away towards the side. 

"I bet there are better love stories from the Roiias, why don't you tell me one?" He requested from her, sitting down on the chair next to her. 

"I don't know any stories." Amora said, lightly caressing the book. She enjoyed the feel of the binding and how she could focus on it and not at the Doctor's look of shock. 

"Why don't you know?" He asked, trying to figure out the question. Roiias, a species with such high regards for romance, have thousands of love stories; they are number one in fact for romance stories all over the universe. So why doesn't the beautiful woman beside him know any?

"It's because I can't fall in love, I am half Roiias which means I am destined to be alone." She told him like it was a well-known thing. She was constantly told that from various people from her species, along with at times overhearing it from her mother. Her mother was deeply concerned that she would never find someone due to her background, her mother feared that she would die before being able to find someone for her, which became a constant fear for her. 

"That's impossible." He said not believing her. Amora was full of love, and she always managed to catch everyone's eye. She was everything to him and to so many people. He couldn't believe that she thought that way about herself. 

"Well, that's what I've been told! People can flirt with me and humor me but at the end of the day, they fall in love with someone else. They go on to have families and children, yet I am forced to stay behind and just feel happy for them from a distance." She told him. He couldn't help but relate. He had to leave his companions behind, and they all moved on after a while he would be forced to be alone until someone finds him. He lost many friends and all his loved ones, but he still kept his heart opened slightly, just enough to let him continue on having hope. 

"Weren't you in love with Reinette?" The Doctor asked, a bit confused. Reinette and Amora did kiss, and she spent five years with the woman, even wanting her to travel with them. If that wasn't love, then what was it? He had even noticed that Amora was now often referenced in books, where writers and historians often noted the closeness between the two women, but no one knew the extent of their relationship. 

"A perk from being from the future is that I knew Reinette's fate, which was being the Kings Mistress. I stayed with her to comfort and protect her; I was her...... friend. I won't deny that there weren't feelings there because there were, but I made sure to never cross the line; no matter how much Reinette asked. I never let myself open up to her the way I did with you... and Rose and Mickey." Amora said, noticing that the Doctor was moving closer to her. 

"Five years and you guys never..." He couldn't finish his sentence. 

"That's the answer. Five years." Amora shrugged." I only had five years with her, and I was going to make them the best five years for us, even if she was not really mine." she said to him, a tear rolling down her face. 

"Will you ever let yourself fall in love?" The Doctor asked, with hope in his eyes. Amora looked at him, blue crashing with brown. She wanted to tell him no, that she would never fall in love, that she did not have the time to fall in love, but the words were caught in her throat. Instead, she just gave him a small smile.

"Maybe one day."