PRESENT

It was four in the morning, and the music in the living room was still playing loudly. My mom likes to have random parties, which was cool until I had to work the next day.

I lay in my bed, looking at the ceiling. The daycare opened at 7:00 am, so I had to get up by at least 6:15 am. My thoughts begin to drown the music out, and my eyes slowly close.

THUMP! THUMP!

"Yes Derrick! Yes!"

I rolled my eyes. "Seriously, mom?"

My body turned over, trying to get comfortable again. Old school soul music continued to play outside my door. Then, the knob began to turn. I sat up and watched, thankful I lock it every night.

After a few minutes, it stopped, and I exhaled in relief. I was used to creepy perverted males, so I always stayed prepared and kept a stun gun underneath my pillow and mase in my bag. My mom got me both weapons for protection.

Living in the hood, at 18 yrs old, I didn't keep my life and virginity intact on luck alone. I had to fight, stay aware of my surroundings, and keep myself protected at all times.

My focus was important for me to get out of this neighborhood. My mom lived in Province City her whole life. My dad lives in a nice neighborhood, but his wife doesn't like me. So once he got married, I didn't see him as much.

The music finally turned down, but I still couldn't fall back to sleep. I put my earbuds in to listen to relaxing music on Youtube. Usually, it helped me fall asleep.

While I snuggled up into my comforter, the curtains in my window moved. The window wasn't open, so a breeze couldn't have caused it.

I got up to investigate, making sure my mind wasn't playing tricks on me. The curtain moved again, I stood in place and took out my earbuds. A figure formed behind the fabric in front of me, and my heart raced.

It's happening again.

My feet slowly walked towards the curtain, then snatched it to the side. I instantly took a few steps back.

"D-Deanna?"

"I messed up Mag...I really messed up."

My eyes filled with tears because I knew what all of this meant. Her eyes were void, and cold air surrounded me.

"Mag, you were right about him....I should've listened to you."

I shook my head. "No, this can't be happening..."

She reached out to me. "I'm sorry, tell my Mom I love her. He put my body in the dumpster in the alleyway off Alton Drive. Please come get me. Don't let them take me to a landfill."

"I-I won't..." my hands were shaking as tears fell down my face.

"I love you, bestie."

Before I could say anything, she faded away along with her voice. I hurried and got dressed. As soon as I walked out of my room, the remaining partiers looked at me.

"Hey, you can't speak?"

I ignored Mr. Cliff, knowing he probably was the one trying to get in my room. I headed for the front door while he made a few more remarks about me being all grown up.

I got in my car and drove to Alton Drive. All our conversations about her boyfriend replayed in my head. I knew he put his hands on her before and voiced my worry to her every chance I got.

It got to the point that she started distancing herself from me. I haven't heard from her in almost a month. I would text her, but she never would respond.

My eyes began to water again. I drove down the dark alleyway with shaking hands. The headlights from the car were the only things to help me see.

Up ahead to the left was a dumpster. I stopped my car and got out with my stun gun in my hand. I decided to call Deanna's phone for some reason. Two rings went on my phone, and within seconds, I heard the faint sound of her ringtone.

I screamed, getting back in my car. I can't believe she's really dead.

***

I sat in the police station, trying to accept that my best friend was gone. I was too afraid to open the dumpster myself, so I called the police and let them handle it. I didn't want to see her dead.

"Magnolia Richards?"

My eyes looked up at the woman coming into the interrogation room. She looked young but stressed out.

"I'm Detective Perez. I need to ask you some questions, okay?"

My head nodded.

"When was the last time you saw Deanna?"

"A month ago. I would call and text, but she wouldn't answer."

"How did you know where her body was located?"

I knew she wouldn't believe me if I told her. But I was looking real suspect at the moment.

"She told me in a dream."

I gave her the half truth. As I figured, the detective didn't believe me. Her eyes did look intrigued, but she probably thinks I'm crazy.

"Did she tell you anything else?"

"It was her boyfriend that put her there....Kareem Stanton."

This time, she looked surprised, like I confirmed something. I was worried about looking insane more than being a suspect.

"Have they had issues before?"

I looked down. "She told me a few times he put his hands on her. I'm sure she didn't tell me every time he did."

A manilla folder sat on the table in front of the detective. I looked at her.

"How did she die?"

Detective Perez opened the folder. "By strangulation."

She showed me a photo of my best friend laid out on a table with marks around her neck. I broke down at the image.

"That will be enough questions for now. I'm sorry for your loss."

She put the photo back in the folder and escorted me out of the interrogation room. They already had Deanna's boyfriend in custody and his confession before asking me any questions.

When I walked out of the police station....I froze. Deanna was standing at the bottom of the steps. I went towards her and stood.

"Thank you, bestie."

"I missed you, Dee. What am I gonna do without you?"

"You better live and be happy."

There was a soft smile on her face, but it didn't ease my pain. I've known her since middle school and shared so many great memories with her. All of my best days were with Deanna.

"I love you."

She got closer and wrapped her arms around me, but I couldn't feel her. My heart broke as she began to walk away into darkness.

"I love you too, Mag."