DEFEND

Magnolia abruptly walking out of Surge pissed me off. But I also understood her reasoning. She left in confusion, putting herself in danger.

I hurried after her and followed her scent. I had Big Jim follow me to the park in the car.

In the distance, I saw her sitting on a bench all alone. The danger she was putting herself in was high, so I wanted to get her back home now.

Big Jim got out of the car, looking around. He could sense something was about to happen.

Magnolia got up from the bench about to walk further away, but I stopped her just in time. In her presence, I always seem to lose track of time. It's like I'm in a trance, and all I see is her.

I touched her arms, explaining the Roxanne situation. Every word I spoke calmed Magnolia down and pulled her in closer to me.

My words were true, although I didn't want to speak them.

After our talk, the hairs on my neck stood on end, and Magnolia closed her eyes while the warm air around us became a chill... Roxanne's spirit was here.

"You have no place here, Roxanne. You are not wanted by me, go away, and leave my mate alone."

I had enough of her harassing the woman I love and wanted her gone for good. The air around us began to feel warmer and lighter.

The feeling of relief was short-lived once gunfire was heard.

Quickly, I snatched Magnolia into my arms. Her safety was above my own. We made it into the thick of trees, and I climbed up one with her on my back.

I heard gunshots in the distance as a few of the men dropped to the ground. Big Jim always had a great aim.

The night was my ally while I told Magnolia to stay put. I jumped down on top of another guy, crushing his skull.

My gun was pulled, and my focus was locked in. All I saw in my sight were targets.

POP! POP! POP!

There were three left hiding, but their scent was detected quickly. I snuck up on one, firing at the back of his head.

"Fuck!" I was hit in the leg by another.

I countered with a shot through his neck. Big Jim took out the last one and I went back for Magnolia.

"Jump."

"Huh?" She was scared.

"I'll catch you, baby. Now jump."

After fighting her fear, she did what I said and I caught her with ease. For now the coast was clear, so Big Jim drove the car onto the grass headed our way.

"Magnolia, I'm going to take you home to grab some things. I'm going to drop you off at your parent's place. I will come and get you after I take care of this mess."

She was silent while giving me a nod.

I expected retaliation from Max Stokes, but not this soon. My brazzen actions must have really pissed him off.

We switched cars at my mechanic's spot, then I drove Magnolia to my place. I took her through the back and waited.

After 16 minutes, she was running out of the building. She was changed with her braids now up in a bun.

"I'm sorry about tonight, baby."

I felt like shit after what happened in the park. She held my hand, rubbing her soft cheek against it. The thought of something happening to her made my chest hurt and stomach churn.

We pulled up to her old neighborhood. It was quiet and seemed way safer than where I lived.

"I will call you to let you know everything is good, okay?"

"Okay."

The tears in her eyes broke my heart. I hated seeing her like this. But I had to make sure my current problem was taken care of before we continued being together.

I kissed her lips, and she wrapped her arms around my neck tight. After a few minutes, she pulled away.

"No backsies, Leonidas."

I smiled at her words.

"No, backsies."

Magnolia got out of the car, and I watched my world walk into the home that wasn't ours.

I drove off once the door was closed. Now, my focus was finishing what I started.

***

I used my key to get into my parent's house. Once I shut the door, I looked out the window, watching my love drive away.

The more answers I get, the more questions I have. I had no clue who would be shooting at us. Then I realized my man was the intended target.

It was quiet in the house as I walked to my old bedroom. I smiled at everything being the same. My body and mind were exhausted, so once I hit the bed, I was out.

The next morning, I woke up in a panic. I hurried to my bag to get my phone.

"No calls from Leo."

I was getting nervous, wondering what was going to happen to him. We literally were ambushed by multiple people with guns. All those years I grew up in the hood, and when I finally moved out, I'm dodging bullets I hadn't before.

I thank God that I didn't lose my life, but I'm so worried about Leo. It's all hitting me how dangerous his life is, and I'm questioning my sanity for still wanting to be with him.

Noticing it was still quiet in the house, I got out of bed to see if my parents were here. The house was empty, so I called my mom.

"Hey, Mommy. Where are you?"

"Hi my baby, I'm at Trudy's house."

"Oh, okay, cool. How long are you staying?"

"For a week. I told you, remember?"

I completely forgot that my parents go to my aunt's house once a year. She lives in another state.

"My bad, I forgot. Well, I'm actually at your house now."

"Aww, sorry I missed you. But we'll be back soon."

"No worries. Have fun and tell everyone I said hello."

"Sure will. Bye honeybear, love you."

"Love you more."

We hung up, and I was relieved they weren't here to witness the mess I've got myself in.

My phone rang as I went to make breakfast. Thinking it may be Leo, I quickly answered.

"Hello."

"Hey, are you okay?"

Hearing his voice made my relief felt instantly.

"Yes, and you?"

"I'm good. I had to go out of town but will be back in a few days. I should have everything settled before I return."

"Oh, okay..."

I wanted to ask him what was going on, but what good would that do but make me worry more.

"Baby, I know everything is crazy right now. I promise I'm going to make things better."

"I know."

"Good, I will call you in a few days. I love you."

He hung up before I could respond, but I felt a little better knowing he was okay.

I spent the next two days sleeping, trying to ease my worry about Leo. Then I heard his voice in my head. It was so clear that I woke up.

"Oh no."

In front was Leo's wolf spirit, and I began to freak out. He was a gorgeous beast to witness, but my fear didn't allow me to admire him.

"Why am I seeing you without him being here?!"