CHANCE

I sat in the cafe while my ex-wife gave me another one of her sob stories. We've been divorced for three years, but she always makes her way back to me.

Veronica filed for divorce when my father got investigated by the feds. Assuming all my family's wealth would be on audit and I may do some jail time, she signed on the dotted line to part ways.

Within two months, she was remarried.

Unfortunately for her, after the divorce, my father signed all his assets and company over to me while he took a plea and got probation. Now he's officially retired living a stress free life, and my family's wealth is still intact and growing after I took over.

"Donald thinks $3,000 a week will sustain me. I am so done with his lack of compassion."

I drank my coffee and checked my phone for emails. It was the usual sales pitch for investments, real estate, and mergers.

"You look really handsome, baby. After 6 years of marriage, I see you're finally exploring different designers like I suggested."

I looked at Veronica's blue eyes, wondering what it was about her that used to have me so infatuated.

"A different designer? I wasn't aware. I just wore what felt comfortable and looked nice on me."

"You're still very practical, Leo."

"Is that a bad thing?"

"No, but you're a good-looking billionaire, honey. You don't need to be practical."

"Well, hearing your dilemma with your allowance...you definitely need to be."

Veronica looked down at my words, then I felt her foot rub against my leg under the table.

"It's been a while since we had fun together. I can use a good fuck right now."

I smirked at her thinking sex with me was going to change her situation.

We've done this before...we go to a hotel, fuck, I leave and she's calling me nonstop for the next few days. I have no desire to be her escape...even sleeping with her was unappealing to me now.

"You should stop, Veronica. I can't help you."

Her eyes showed disappointment. "I wasn't asking you for help, Leo. I just wanted to have fun...I miss you."

I drank more of my coffee and a gorgeous woman walked into the cafe. My eyes were glued to her and my body reacted instantly.

Everything around me disappeared. All I saw was her pretty smooth skin, full lips and curvy body. She had a soft smile on her face while she waited her turn to order.

Her waist length braids made my eyes focus on her firm round ass. I leaned back enjoying the view.

I want you.

My words played in my mind and she looked my way as if she could hear my thoughts. Now I got a good look at her beautiful brown eyes and my heart melted.

"Leo?...Leo."

My focus went back to Veronica. I forgot she was sitting here. I looked at my phone, then got up to leave.

"I have a meeting in an hour. Take care."

"B-But..."

I ignored Veronica and walked out.

***

"Mag, you really freaked Niko out yesterday."

"It wasn't my intention. I just wanted to relay a message."

"So you're telling me that you see dead people?"

"I see spirits."

Stephanie chuckled through the phone.

"That's some freaky shit. Oh, let me call you back."

I hung up with no goodbye.

I've been seeing spirits and other entities since I was a child. Panic attacks and paranoia used to plague my life until I got old enough to do research about the spiritual world and learned that what I did was a gift.

My mom told me to embrace it and not fear my abilities. She really taught me to own my gift or the evil will feed off my fears and own me.

I went into my favorite cafe where Dee and I used to go after the mall. We would sip our smoothies and watch the rich women push their strollers, go for jogs, or carry multiple bags from shopping.

It was busy but not packed as I stood in line.

I want you.

The deep voice in my head was so clear. It's too clear to be a spirit. I turned my head and was met with eyes that sent shivers down my spine.

The man didn't look to be in his twenties, but he was fine...fine enough that my panties were now wet. I got scared at his intense stare.

He found you.

The same voice of the woman I saw yesterday echoed in my mind. I faced forward to order my peach mango smoothie, ignoring the tingling sensation running through my limbs.

"Well, hello there. Long time, no see."

I definitely was a regular.

"Hey Courtney, how have you been?"

"Great! What can I get you today?"

"The usual."

She smiled. "Gotcha."

When I got my drink and walked out, the same good-looking man that was staring at me stood outside next door. My heart raced when he walked towards me.

"Hello, I don't mean to interrupt your day. I couldn't leave without telling you how beautiful you are."

I liked his deep voice. His height towered mine, and his blue-gray eyes hid a mysterious darkness within them, making me curious to know who he is.

"Thank you." I looked down, trying not to show my nervousness.

"I'm Leo Vinci."

"Magnolia Richards."

"Bellissima."

Our eyes met again, and we shook hands. His hand was big and rough. He slightly pulled me in, and the unexpectancy made me pull my hand away.

"Where are you from, Magnolia?"

"Province."

I thought saying my city would end the conversation, but he moved closer to me. The same woman spirit I saw yesterday stood behind him. I tried to ignore her.

"You must really like the smoothies to come all the way out here."

He made me feel shy. "Yeah, I guess. I came here to shop too. Do you come here a lot?"

"No, but now I have a reason to."