RETURN

I'm blessed to have periods of time when I don't see spirits. It gives me the opportunity to release the tension of carrying their burdens.

My gift is important to me, but it's great to have a mental break sometimes.

Everything was quiet on my end, which I was enjoying thoroughly. No drama, fighting, gossiping, or constantly looking over my shoulder...it was the best.

All this peaceful energy left more room for Leo in my mind. He was replayed in my mind like a sports highlight. Random smiles and giggles took over when thinking about him.

My phone rang...it was my Mom.

"Mommy! What's up?"

"Hi, my baby! I'm just calling to check on you. I wanted to come visit you...Are you home?"

I didn't tell my mom about the Niko and Steph situations. She would definitely freak out, demanding I stay with her, which I understood.

"No, not right now."

One thing about my mama, she knew me better than I knew myself. Any change in frequency in my voice she caught it, knowing something was wrong.

"What happened, honeybear?"

That's all it took. At the sound of her concern, I broke down. My mom and I have always been close. There wasn't anything I kept from her until now.

I told her everything except for details about Leo. My uncertainty of how she will react kept that part of my life to myself.

"You know you can come back home, no questions asked."

"Thank you, Mommy. But I should be okay."

"You need to get a restraining order on both of them. They're both mentally ill and need meds."

I chuckled at her words.

"I'm serious. They sound unhinged."

"I know. Can we meet up this weekend?"

"Absolutely."

I smiled, and suddenly, the spirit of Roxanne was standing in between the curtains in the living room.

"Okay, mommy. I love you."

"Love you too."

Usually, when I see a reoccurring spirit, I'm not nervous. But Roxanne made the hair on my neck stand on end. There had to be a reason she was back.

I know you see me.

Yes, I can. Is there something you want to tell me?"

I'm here to warn you.

Of what?

Leo..

I was hoping she wouldn't say that name. While I sat down, my heart raced but I wanted to hear what she had to say.

Okay. I'm listening.

He isn't who you think he is. He is an abusive, controlling, murderous bastard. You need to get away from him now.

The way she looked, saying those words took me aback. It wasn't anger in her eyes but hurt and disappointment.

I know you don't believe me....but do you see this?

Her bruised neck had a ring mark around it. Veins, black, and blue marks were all over her body.

Did he make you wear a collar yet?

I didn't answer even though the guilt was all over my face.

He never wants you to take it off. He'll get you to trust him and make you feel safe. But once you don't do as he says, he'll switch and be a totally different man.

How did you die?"

Strangulation. I'm sure you know who's responsible.

My heart hurts at Roxanne's words. I was beginning to believe her, and that made me upset.

Maybe I was letting my want of him cloud my judgment.

***

I brought some flowers for Magnolia on my way home. She was the reason I looked forward to going there.

When I walked out of the flower shop, a silencer was pointed to my face. I looked at my driver Stan slumped against the side window. He was dead, and my teeth began to grind.

Another car pulled up. "Get in..."

I didn't put up any fight as I got into the backseat. The man kept his gun towards me until we got to our destination.

My knowledge of who's his boss is unknown but I knew they were definitely unfamiliar to who I was in our world.

The car pulled up to a warehouse, and I got out in cooperation. I was either being taken for something my father did in the past, for intervening with the Pradu and Romano rivalry or the billion in gold bars I just got dibs on.

I'm betting on the latter.

My arm was grabbed, but I held back on breaking the man's face. I was determined to see his boss.

Ahead of me were three casually dressed men like the one pointing a gun at me. I wish I could say I was intimidated, but at least they're trying.

"You're probably wondering why you're here," the tall skinny one spoke.

I remained silent while scoping out the situation. My plan was already thought out. Waiting was just me entertaining myself.

"You're the son of the infamous Carlo Vinci. His name used to hold weight in these streets...used to."

"It must still do if I'm here."

"Don't flatter yourself, Leo."

"Hey, you're the one who knows about me. I never heard of you."

He was an amateur, letting my words already get to him. The simple fact that he thinks he has the upper hand was comical.

"You and your whole family will know who I am after tonight."

I felt an impact against the back of my head that made my neck jerk forward. I felt what I assumed was my blood trickle down my neck.

Within minutes, all four men's throats were slashed open. Their warm blood splattered on my suit, and I walked away, enjoying the fresh scent of flesh.