CONFIRM

Once again, Veronica intrudes on my life, and I have no idea how she knew I would be here.

"I am beginning to think you're stalking me."

She laughed my comment off while Magnolia seemed to be distracted.

"You're not going to introduce us?" Veronica smirked.

"This is Magnolia....I just hired her."

I didn't know why I was lying to her, but then again, my ex-wife is nosey and dramatic. She also tends to exaggerate or embellish stories.

The last thing I need is her running her mouth about me dating an underage girl.

Her smirk disappeared. "For what?"

Magnolia was now staring behind me. I touched her hand to bring her back to focus.

"My assistant. Isn't that right, Ms. Richards?"

"Um... Yes. Nice to meet you." Magnolia played along.

She stood up and put her hand out for a shake. Veronica received her hand while looking her up and down in judgment.

Magnolia sat back down and continued eating her food. I could tell her mood changed, but I don't think Veronica was the cause.

"I didn't know you were looking for an assistant... I would've applied."

"Well, I would like to get back to my orientation."

"Oh, that's what this is called..."

I ignored her comment. "Have a good night, Veronica."

She chuckled and walked away. Magnolia seemed to check out of the encounter.

"Ex-wife?"

I was relieved that she talked. "Yes."

"Still fucking?" She took a bite of her grilled chicken.

"No."

"She was with you the day we met at the Cafe...that's why I asked. I'm ready to go now."

Magnolia wiped her mouth with the napkin. She no longer made eye contact with me. As soon as I received the check, she pulled out some money.

"Something for the tip."

She sat forty dollars on the table and got up, walking out of the restaurant. I saw her stand out front, waiting for me and I had the feeling, this might be the last time I would see her.

It was silent while we drove in the car.

"Are you okay, Magnolia?"

"Yes, are you?"

"Yeah, but I feel like I did something wrong."

"No and if you did...it wouldn't matter anyway," she looked out the window.

"Why do you say that?"

"I'm just some young girl you met. It's not like anything is going to happen between us. We're still cool, Mr. Vinci...no worries."

She winked at me then looked back out the car window.

Magnolia was stunning, sweet, full of positive energy and I wanted her badly. But eventually, her age would cause a problem in my world. She's so young and shouldn't waste her youth on me.

But for some reason her calling me mister did something to me and I tried to ignore it.

"The darkness of night is so calming and beautiful."

Her voice was sensual without her even trying and I wondered what her moans would sound like.

"Do you know a woman named Dottie?" She asked, now looking at me.