FORWARD

Two years have gone by since losing my best friend. I applied to Walden Community College and will be graduating next month with my Associates degree in early childhood education.

I was already working part-time at Daisy Daycare Center after high school. The children there were wonderful but I was sick and tired of this city.

My phone rang and I answered.

"Hey Steph, what's up?"

"Magnolia, did you have lunch yet?"

"Nope...I thought you weren't coming back until next week."

"Yeah, it was a change of plans...Have lunch with me."

"Okay, same spot?"

"No...Pierre's."

"Pierre's? Girl, I can not afford that place."

"Who said you were paying? Meet me there at 1:00 pm."

"Okay, girl...bye."

Stephanie was my friend from community college. This girl's family had loads of money, but she was determined to run the streets. Her family cut her off, so she's been with us common folk ever since.

I would've given anything to come from a family like hers. She had a thing for hood guys and got addicted to the life they lived. The way she would talk about her boyfriend, like he was some sort of celebrity, made me smile. She was so in love.

Girl!! Niko almost got caught with a fucking burner on him. He was cursing out the cops and everything...he is so crazy. We fucked in the car afterward...Hahaha!!

I laughed to myself remembering her hood news updates. I lived in the hood and wanted to get as far away as possible...but to each his own.

That afternoon, I pulled up to the expensive restaurant. Walking in, she stood near the window texting on her phone.

"Hey Steph..."

"Maggy, you look cute!"

"Aw, thanks and you're looking fabulous as usual."

Stephanie did a spin and I smiled as her pretty brown skin glowed. Her silk pressed hair hung over her shoulders and she always wore the latest fashions.

We got led to our seats by the hostess and she ordered some wine....I got water with lemon. I'm not 21 yet.

"So, how was your trip?"

"It was cool. I did a lot of shopping."

"Of course. How's your family?"

"They're okay. Still judgey as ever. Asking me about my dating life and who my man is....they're probably trying to figure out how I still can afford my expensive bags and shoes."

I looked surprised. "You're still cut off?"

"Yes, but this time by choice. Them not supporting me has made me feel free. I'm not bound to their rules and judgments anymore."

"I understand."

Her phone buzzed and I sipped my lemon water. Outside of the window stood an older woman. She was tall and beautiful with gray hair pulled up into a bun. Her dress was emerald green and she stared at me with a soft smile.

I finally found you.

"Hey, are you okay?"

My eyes remained on the woman, trying to figure out if she was of the living or not. I tend to see spirits here and there but they no longer freak me out like they used to.

"Maggy?...Maggy."

"Oh, yeah...I'm good. I thought I saw someone I knew."

Steph looked in the direction my eyes were just looking then focused back on me.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just hungry. What are you getting?"

We ordered our food and a man walked up to our table. He was nice looking with brown skin and long locs. He wore a black tee, jeans with clean white sneakers. Stephanie instantly got excited.

"Baby! What are you doing here?"

"I missed you. Plus, when you text me where you were at, I couldn't have my girl out here spending money when that's my job."

My mouth stayed closed while they kissed and he squeezed on her bottom. Some of the other patrons looked at the PDA and I sipped my lemon water unphased.

"Who's ya friend?"

"Oh..baby, this is Magnolia. Friend, this is my man, Niko."

He smirked. "Ah yeah, the one you were telling me about."

I stood up to shake his hand. "Hi, nice to meet you."

"Likewise."

He shook my hand in return, while looking me up and down. Stephanie smiled and we both took our seats. Niko grabbed a chair from another table, drawing more stares our way.

The rest of the forty minutes they talked to each other while I stared at the boy standing next to Niko. He looked like a teenage version of him. He had a gunshot wound to his chest.

Tell him don't go to Crescendo tonight.

Who are you?

Mikey...I'm his brother.

I continued to eat my food and I knew if I didn't speak up this spirit would keep bothering me.

After Niko paid for our food, the three of us walked out of the restaurant. The couple kissed a few times then I took the opportunity to pass on the message.

"Mikey said don't go to Crescendo tonight."

"What?" His eyes widened.

"Mag, who is Mikey?"

"His brother...he said don't go to Crescendo."

"Is this some kind of joke? What's up with your girl, Steph?"

"Relax, babe..."

Niko walked closer to me. "How the fuck you know I had a brother?"

"Calm down, babe." Stephanie grabbed his arm.

I looked at his body language. "Are you about to hit me?"

"You some fucking weirdo or something?"

I clutched my purse, remembering my stun gun was in there. This is the reason I always kept messages from spirits to myself. People fear what they don't understand which usually turns into hate.

"No, I'm just delivering a message. Take it or not...it's off my hands now."

Before they could say anything, I walked to my car then got in. When I drove off, Mikey was there...standing next to his angry brother.

I did my good deed for the day.