HURT

This spirit yelling at Leo was a tortured soul. Her voice dragged and scraped from her lips. Her bloodshot eyes were full of despair, and my tears welled up in my own.

The young woman's lips were purple. She had short brown hair and what looked like tattoos on both her arms.

"Who do you see?" Leo asked.

It's me, Leo! Look at me! Why won't you look at me?!

I see you. Can you tell me your name?

Her focus was on him, so I wanted her to trust me enough to focus on my questions and give an answer. She began to cry.

I'm Roxanne...Why don't you answer me, Leo?

He cannot hear you. What happened to you?

He knows what he did to me!

"Magnolia?"

My eyes went to him. "What happened to Roxanne?"

Leo's brows furrowed. "Roxanne?"

"Yes. She said that you knew what happened to her."

He got up from his seat, then stood at the window. The irritation showed through his body language, and I immediately got suspicious.

"That'll be all for the day, Magnolia. I will see you tomorrow."

As I stood up, Roxanne faded away. My heart was telling me to question him again, but my mind told me to pick another day.

"Oh okay. See you tomorrow."

Once I got home, I changed into something comfortable. Roxanne was on my mind while I dove into studying my books on spirits and the afterlife.

He knows what he did to me!

Her words replayed in my head. Leo abruptly stopping and not answering my question made me feel uneasy. Now I wondered what he was hiding.

Many spirits do not journey to the other side smoothly. Many are lost and dwell in the human realm. Some do not know they've passed while others do know but refuse to transition over.

I've seen too many spirits that do not want to cross over...either for fear of knowing what waits for them or they have unfinished business they need to get done.

And most likely, that business is revenge.

My phone buzzed, and I saw Stephanie's name come across the screen. She wanted to come hang out with me at my new place, so we planned to meet once I finish work.

"Hey Steph, I got out of work early. I'm already home."

"Oh cool, I'm on my way."

After twenty minutes there was a knock on my door and I answered.

"Hey fren! I got the drinks!"

I laughed at Steph carrying two bottles of wine. I'm not 21 yet, but sometimes I had a glass with her. She quickly got into her recent activities.

"My date with Chris was dope as fuck! Girl...he was feeding me fruit, rubbing my feet and even brought me a cute bracelet."

"Oooh, that's so sweet." I love hearing her date stories.

"Right! He definitely was trying to get some cat but I held out."

"Oh okay, good for you."

"Yeah, besides...I was meeting up with Niko later."

My eyes wanted to roll but I held off. Steph continued her stories and play by play of her and Niko's sexcapades...I just nodded my head like I was interested.

"So...What's up with you? Are you talking to anyone?"

"Nope."

"Girl, do you even like men?"

"Oh, you got jokes." I tilted my head to the side.

Steph shrugged. "I'm saying...I can hook you up with someone."

I shook my head. "Absolutely not."

"Why?! I have great taste!"

"If you say so..." I sipped my wine.

Steph laughed. "You know what? No more wine for you. You're talking reckless."

Her phone buzzed with a text message and of course she answered. Another question was asked once she was done.

"How's the new job going?"

I smiled. "It's going great. The people I've met so far are really nice."

"Any cute guys?"

I sucked my teeth. "Dang, don't you get enough dick?"

"Chile, it's never enough for me..."

We both laughed then watched a few movies...or should I say I watched a few movies. Stephanie's phone kept going off and she didn't ignore it at all.

After three more hours, it was time for her to leave and I was ready for bed.

"I really do like your place, Mag. It's really nice and clean. Are all the appliances brand new?"

"The washer and dryer are new."

There was a knock on my door and I went to answer. To my dismay her ex was standing there.

"Hey Mag, what's up?" He looked me up and down with a smile on his face.

"Niko?!"

Steph got up. "Cool, my ride's here."

The anger I felt was instant but I remembered I didn't tell Stephanie that Niko had been calling me and getting blocked.

"Why didn't you text me you were here? You didn't have to knock on the door."

"Habit...my bad."

"Oh, let me use the bathroom real fast."

Steph walked away and I stood at the door to block him from coming inside.

"It's nice seeing you, Mag. You look good."

I remained silent to not give him any ideas.

"I told you, didn't I?...I said you'd be seeing me again."

My eyes looked away from him and he got closer then grabbed my waist.

"I'm not giving up until you're mine. I know I can make you happy. Just give me a chance."

"Get off of me, Niko."

"Come on now...I can help you out, pay your rent. I know this place ain't cheap."

"Niko, please get off of me."

I struggled to remove his hands and he squeezed tighter, pulling me in towards him.

He bit his bottom lip. "Steph told me you never fucked before...Is that true?"

I pushed his chest hard, he let go and I backed away. Stephanie came out of the bathroom and Niko switched.

"You ready?"

"I'm ready babe." Stephanie smiled at him.

Standing to the side, I tried to hold back my tears.

"See you, fren. I'll call you."

Once they left, I closed the door and my hands shook in fear. My anxiety began to rise while I tried to calm myself down.

"Fuck...now he knows where I live."