Chapter 5

Slowly the world comes back to me. Shapes come first, then the colors, and finally the sounds.

I shift and the pain from the lightning comes back to me. I cry out. I can't let them know they have hurt me. I bite my lip and and slowly look down at myself. My clothes are burnt, leaving only a few strips of fabric to cover my skin. Blisters and burns cover my skin and there are black lines criss crossing acrossed my stomach, arms and legs.

I groan softly. There is no way this will heal quickly, or for that matter, properly. All of my healing slaves are in my dresser, back home in my room. But, having it heal is beside the point. I can't escape with injuries like this. Which means Nelli is stuck as well. That is just wonderful.

I need to sit up and analyze the situation. I take a deep breath and carefully shift my legs. I move them closer to me and then stop. The pain is too much. Tears spring into my eyes and I whimper. Come on you have to do this. I squeeze my eyes shut and move my legs in front of me. I am panting heavily now and the tears fall down my cheeks.

Okay. Okay. All I have to do is sit up now. Slowly, I move my arms underneathe me. My hands are pressed against the ground and my arms are against my sides. I can't do this. I can't. It hurts too much. I scream in pain.

Then the floor heats up quickly and the pain doubles. I collapse against it and scream louder. I can feel the blisters burning and popping. The burns get worse be the second as the temperature increases. My clothes catch on fire and there is no way for me to put it out.

Suddenly, the heat stops and it is replaced by a freezing cold. The fire on my clothes go out. But, my body burns from the shock. I lay on the ground trembling from the pain, as the floor finally goes back to normal.

I lay there gasping, like a fish out of water. I hear a door slide open and footsteps approach me. I have no energy to fight them. A pair of hands grab me and yank me up. I scream. They drag me forwards and out of the door they came in through.

I am dragged through a series of passage ways before we finally stop in a room. On one side there is a giant glass window. The window only leads to another room with a huge control panel. In the room I am in, there is nothing but a metal chair. This chair has six different straps meant to keep whoever is sitting in it still. I am shoved on to the chair. I cry out.

Straps are yanked a crossed my wrists and ankles. Another one goes across my stomach and the sixth is wrapped around both of my armpits. The pain doesn't leave.

My head slumps forward and somebody yanks it back up. I scream again. In the room behind the glass window a door opens. A scrawny guys steps into the room. He appears to be a literal nerd. He is wearing khakis and a pressed plaid shirt, with black suspenders and a bow tie. He has his hair slicked back like a character Tom Cruz would have played in the eighties. I laugh out loud at his ridiculous appearance. He glares at me.

" Send out the boy and the bait, " he says. He is the one with the deep voice.

Then the wall on my left swings around. Nelli is now visible and she is chained to the wall. She looks around frantically and I notice that there is dried blood on the left side of her face.

" Nelli, " I breathe. She locates me.

" Penelope! " she shouts.

On the other side a door opens and Logan walks in, flanked by two guards. He sees me and his eyes widen. Then he turns towards the nerd behind the window.

" You said you wouldn't hurt her! " he yells. " You said no harm would come to her! We had a deal! "

" Deals can be broken, " replies the nerd.