Chapter 11

Mirror, morror on the wall take me to the place I most desire. Mirrors seem to hate me. I mean, if I really think about it; my mirror, which is supposed to only show my reflection, some how brought me to this place and indirectly landed me in this prison cell. Mirrors are not supposed to have any magical qualities. They are there for you to see what you look like. So why did my mirror have to be some sort of doorway to this place? Because it hates me, there is no other explanation for it. It hates me so much that it won't even listen to my silent pleas to bring me back home.

But then again why am I pleading for my mirror to take me home? Its not like I am living in a Disney movie. Unfortunately there is no evil queen to speak to the mirror and then send me to run away, so that she can kill me. Even if she were to fail in that department, resulting in me meeting seven adorable dwarfs. Only to have her poison me with a supposedly harmless apple. And there is definitely no prince charming to come rescue me with true love's kiss.

Wow... I am becoming more insane by the minute. There is no way talking to my mirror will ever solve my problems. And apparently I don't have a fairy godmother, so I'm pretty much left with no other option than to wait for Logan. When he opens my cell door I will run out and make a break for it.

I look over at the door and crouch down, preparing to run the second it opens. I stare at it for who knows how long before I decide I need to do something to pass the time. But the only thing I can do seems to be count the seconds that go by.

One one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand, four one thousand, five one thousand. The door swings open. Holy biscuits! That was fast! I jump up and run straight for the only exit in my prison cell. I don't bother to look and see if anything is blocking my path, I just go. I need out of here. I won't let anyone stop me.

I grunt. Except for maybe Logan's arms. " No! I need out of here! Let me go! Let me go! " I scream. Logan clamps a hand over my mouth.

" Shhhh, Penelope you have to be quiet. If anyone suspects anything there will be no chance of escape for you, " he whispers in my ear. I don't say anything, but I still struggle to free myself from his grasp. " Stop fighting me. I am trying to get you out of here. "

" Liar, " I whisper, harshly. He sighs.

" You don't trust me, do you? " he asks.

" Why should I? You brought me here, " I respond.

" I know, but I made a mistake. And I regret that mistake more than anything in my life. Please just trust me long enough to help you escape, " he pleads. Despite everything his voice sound genuine. And I find myself believing him just a little bit.

" Fine, " I mumble. His grip loosens but he doesn't release me completely. I stopped fighting against his grip a while ago, but aparrently he doesn't trust me enough to realize that I won't run away. We stand there for another minute, before he finally releases me. He stands in the doorway blocking my path to freedom. I roll my eyes. " I am not going to take off running. Just let me out of this prison cell. I have already gone crazy, and I doubt I can last another second in here. "

Logan's expression softens and he nods once before stepping aside and letting me out. I step through the door and trip on something. I roll over onto my butt and look at the ground in front of me. There are two unconscious guards in front of the door to my prison cell. My eyes widen and I look at Logan. He just shrugs.

" If they were conscious I would not be able to take you out of that cell, " he responds. Then he reaches out his hand to help me up. Against better judgment I take it and allow him to pull me up. He releases my hand and turns right. " Follow me the exit is this way, " he says, over his shoulder.

" What about Chloe? " I ask. He presses a button on the wall and a little door slides up. Chloe comes bounding out. I drop to my knees. " Chloe, " I mutter. I am in too much shock to actually say her name any louder. My Yorkshire terrier runs to me and jumps into my lap. There isn't a single mark on her. I run my fingers through her fur, as she licks my face repeatedly. Without realizing it I started to cry. I wrap my arms around her and hold her tight.

Someone sets a hand on my shoulder and I flinch. I spin my head around and find Logan looking down on me. " We have to go now, " he says. I nod and stand up. But I don't release Chloe. I keep her tucked into my arms and against my chest. I don't even remove an arm to wipe away the tears that fall down my cheeks. Logan sets a hand against the small of my back and gently guides me forwards.

He leads me down a hallway that has no turns. When we reach the end of it he presses another button and a door opens. It leads out to the red brick pathway, and the hills with the flowers and trees. But unlike the last time I was out there it is now dark, and there are millions of stars covering the sky. Logan steps out and turns around to look at me. I go to step out but then something stops me.

An image of my best friend's face comes to mind. Her skin is pale, a stark contrast compared to my olive skin, and her nose and cheeks are dusted with freckles. Her lips are thin and more pinkish than mine, her eyes are gray with flecs of brown through out them. And her hair is a bright red color. It reaches down to the bottom of he shoulder blades and is bone straight.

" Nelli! We can't leave her here. We need to go get her, " I say. Logan shakes his head.

" We don't have time. We need to get you back to your bedroom before dawn, " he says, impatiently.

" I will not leave her here. I refuse to leave without her, " I declare. He sighs.

" That is not an option, " he says. Then we engage in a staring contest. Both of us stand there glaring at each other. He stands on the red brick pathway and I stand inside the door. Eventually, he breaks eye contact and sighs.

" Fine we will go get Nelli, " he mutters. Then he steps back inside and closes the door. I watch as the exit becomes smaller and smaller until it is no longer visible at all. Then I turn around and follow Logan back into the heart of this place.