Chapter 6

Logan's eyes meet mine and I look away, but not fast enough. I held eye contact long enough to see what appeared to be genuine concern. I refuse to let it phase me. He is acting, none of it was ever real. Nothing he said was ever true. He never even loved me.

The nerd's voice echoes around the room. " I have a series of questions I am about to ask you. My advice is to answer each one truthfully. If you don't, well I would say the consequences are fairly self-explanatory. Have I made myself clear or would you like me to demonstrate what I am implying? " I say nothing in response. " Very well. "

A single strand of the blue lightning shoots down from the ceiling and encircles my body. I scream as my body convulses. Nelli screams my name in terror. And just as suddenly as the lightning appeared it disappears, leaving me panting heavily. I slump forward in the chair. And the only thing keeping me from tumbling out of it and onto the floor are the straps, which are now digging into my flesh.

" Have I made myself clear? " questions the nerd. I lift my head up to glare at him.

" Crystal, " I whisper. I tried to shout but my voice seems incapable of doing so.

" Lovely, now where to begin? " he asks no one in particular. " Let's start simple, shall we? What is your name dear?"

" Penelope Rennol , " I say.

" So, Penelope, tell me, are you or are you not a spy for the New York Institute? " he asks. I glance at Nelli.

" Yes, I am, " I say. I hear Nelli gasp. The nerd nods once in what may be approval.

" I see. " he says. Then he pauses and pulls out my knife. My breath hitches. How did he get that? " How does this work? " he asks as he twirls it in the air.

" That knife is mine, " I growl.

" I know that. I want to know how it works, " he says.

" You won't be able to make it work, " I say.

" Tell me how it works, " he says slowly. I can tell he is annoyed, but I keep my lips shut. " Fine. Boy, " he says as he looks at Logan, " cut her up. " I turn my head and watch Logan. His eyes widen and he swallows hard.

" Sir, we made a deal yesterday- " Logan begins.

" Silence boy. We also had an agreement that you would obey all orders with no questions, " says the nerd.

" Sorry Sir, " replies Logan. Then Logan pulls out a knife and walks over to me with his head down. I will not cry out. They will not get any satisfaction out of hurting me.

Logan pauses in front of me. Then he slowly brings the knife up to my face. He hesitates then moves the knife down to my throat. He presses down and blood trickles from the wound. I bite my tounge and glare at him. He drags the knife down my neck. Still I make no sound. Yet on the inside I am screaming in pain. The blade reaches my shoulder and Logan clenches his teeth. He then angles the blade so just the tip touches my skin. He takes a deep breath and shoves the tip of the blade into my shoulder. I suck in my breath and a single tear falls down my cheek. Logan pales and then slowly pushes the knife deeper into my shoulder. Involuntarily, I cry out and try to jerk away. The straps stop me and the knife shifts in my shoulder.

" Are you ready to tell me how this knife works now? " asks the nerd. I only whimper in response. " Very well. Boy, twist it. " Logan keeps his gaze locked on the handle of the knife as he slowly twists it. This causes the knife to move deeper into my skin. Blood trails down my neck and flows off of my shoulder. I scream in pain as Logan's hand begins to shake, causing the knife to move in my shoulder.

Tears stream down my face and I give in. " Okay! Okay! I'll talk! I'll tell you how it works! " I scream. " Stop! Stop! Please stop! "

Logan pulls out the knife quickly and hurries away. I bite down on my lip and press my back against the metal chair.

" Speak girl, I don't have all day. I am a busy man you know, " says the nerd.

" My blood, " I gasp. " You have to smear my blood on the handle. The knife will show you what cannot be seen in darkness. "

" Interesting. Boy, fill a vial with her blood, " says the nerd. A guard hands Logan an empty vial. Logan keeps his head down and takes it. Then walks over to me. He presses the vial against my shoulder. " No! Boy that blood is old. I want fresh blood, " yells the nerd. Logan takes my hand and twists it so that my palm face up. Then he takes the knife and slices my skin open. I gasp. He then presses the vial against the fresh wound and collects my blood.