Chapter 7

I squeeze my eyes shut and hold my breath. I will not cry out. I will not scream. I will not make a single sound. They cannot hurt me. I am invincible. Nothing they do to me will cause me pain.

But fantasies are just that, fantasies. They are only fake. So even though I tell myself this, pain still comes to me. And despite everything, I can't stop myself from whimpering. The nerd's voice fills the room once again.

" Bring me that vial, " he says. I open my eyes to watch. Logan walks the vial over to the wall directly under the window. He presses some sort of button and a drawer like contraption slides out. He places the vial in it and then closes it. Behind the window the nerd walks over to what must be a similar contraption and retrieves the vial. He pours my blood over the handle of the knife. Nothing happens. No glow is emitted, which mean no image appears. There is nothing he cannot see in the darkness because this room is filled with light.

" How dare you lie to me girl, " he snarls.

" But, I didn't lie. This room is filled with light, there is nothing you can't see in the darkness, " I say in a desperate attempt to make him believe me.

" Maybe I can't persuade you enough using this technique. Perhaps I should try another, " he says. Nelli! I gasp.

" No! " I scream.

" You had your chance girl, " says the nerd.

" I told you the truth! You have to have darkness for the knife to work! " I scream. A guard walks over to Nelli. He grabs her face and holds it up. Nelli screams in terror. " No! I'll do what ever you want! Hurt me! Leave her alone! She has nothing to do with this! She isn't even a spy! Don't hurt her! " I scream as I fight against the straps binding me to this chair. The guard pulls out a knife and slices Nelli across the neck. She screams. I know its not fatal. Its not deep enough.

Still I scream. I can't let them hurt her, everything has to be directed at me. She has not been trained on how to survive in situations such as this one. I have.

" Silence girl, " shouts the nerd. I scream again. And three strands of blue lightning shoot down from the ceiling. I scream again. But this time it is louder and it lasts longer. My body convulses repeatedly. The burns become worse, and the blisters I have pop and new ones form. Suddenly the lighting shuts off. I slump forward breathing heavily.

Then tiny little spikes begin popping in and out of the chair. They stab me everywhere. They don't go in my skin deep but they go far enough to draw blood. My entire body bleeds. Or at least it looks and feels that way. All of the blood trails down my arms and legs. And it drips off of my torso and onto the waist band on the remainder of my red training pants.

" How do you make this knife work? " asks the nerd.

" Smear my blood on the handle. It only works when you are in the dark, " I gasp. The spikes continue to pop in and out of the chair.

" I am done with her today. Lock her back up boy, " says the nerd. Then he storms out of the room. The wall that Nelli is chained to swings back around and Logan walks over to me. He bends down and takes off the straps on my ankles first, then my wrists ,then stomach. Finally he removes the strap that wrapped around my armpits. I slump forward and he catches me.

" I hate you, " I murmur.

" You have every right to, " he replies quietly. Then he picks me up and carries me to the door. I am too weak to even attempt to get out of his arms and walk on my own. Still I don't want him touching me.

" Let go of me, " I mutter. I try to twist out of his grasp but he tightens his grip. I suck in my breath and immediately he loosens it again.

" Pen, you can't walk on your own. If you show any sign of not being weak Nicholas will torture you more, " he whispers.

" Nicholas? " I ask softly.

" My boss, " he whispers.

" The nerd, " I reply. I look at his face and find that he is smiling slightly.

" Yes, the nerd, " he whispers. He says nothing after that. He just quietly takes me to my prison cell and gently lays me on the cot. Then he slips something into the waist band of my training pants. It is small, smooth, and cold. I raise an eyebrow at him. He leans close to my ear.

" Its a healing slave. Use it only when no one is watching, " he whispers. Then, before I have I chance to respond, he turns away and walks out. I hear the door click shut and after a few moments, I fall asleep.