Chapter 17

There are only so many songs you can sing while walking on a brick pathway, and at this point we have sung all of them. So it has become eerily quiet. Alright well I suppose that isn't the right phrase to use in this situation. But when you have been listening to yourself and your friends sing completely off key to a bunch of random songs for a while, it seems strangely quiet when the singing actually stops.

Well, that is until your supposed ex decides to speak and ruin the moment.

" Penelope, we need to talk, " he says.

" Um... Okay? " I respond. I am not sure what exactly he wanted me to say to that. Or why he so randomly blurted that out.

" Alone, " he says harshly. Alaina flinches beside me. I turn my head around and find that Logan has stopped. I sigh.

" Guys go up ahead we will catch up. Just give us a sec, " I say to Nelli and Alaina.

" I am not leaving you alone with a deranged phycopath, " whispers Nelli. I roll my eyes.

" Nelli he is not a deranged phycopath, " I say. She raised her eyebrows skeptically. " Relax if he wanted to kill me he would've done it by now. Or he would let me kill myself earlier, instead of prying the knife out of my hands. " Alaina sucks in her breath. I ignore her.

" Alright fine, I will give you ten minutes tops before I come back screaming bloody murder, " she says.

" Okay, whatever works, "I reply. She flashes me a cheeky grin. Then she grabs Alaina's arm and walks away with Alaina in tow. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. Then I turn around and face Logan. He looks incredibly anxious. I raise an eyebrow and tilt my head to the side.

" Look, follow this path and shortly you will come across a brick wall. Four rows from the bottom and six from the side there is a fake brick. Push it in and a door will slide open revealing your room. Once you step in it will close automatically " he says in a rush.

" Logan, you are coming with us. Why are you telling me this? " I asks slowly.

" I have to turn back now, " he says. I shake my head, winceing at the pain from the action.

" No! You can't. Nicholas... Do you have any idea what he will do to you? " I say. Logan pales and swallows harshly.

" That doesn't matter you need to get out of here, " he says. I walk over to him. Tears pool at the corners of my eyes. I hastily blink them away.

" No. You are coming with us, " I say.

" I can't, " he says.

" Why not? Surely you don't want to stay here knowing what awaits you when you return, " I say quickly.

" I don't want to stay here, but let's face it you don't trust me, " he says.

" What does that have to do with anything? " I shout, suddenly angry at him for walking into a death trap.

" Everything! I need you Pen, there is no point of my coming back just to get hurt! I can't stand by and watch you kiss other guys! I just can't!" He yells.

" Who said I would go off kissing other guys! You don't dictate my life!" I respond.

" You can't pretend it didn't happen! I saw you! " he exclaims.

" Saw me doing what? " I scream.

" Kissing Nicholas! " he yells. I freeze. Tears threaten to escape and this time I can't stop them.

" Do you have any idea why I did that? " I say softly, all of my previous anger gone. He says nothing. He just stands there looking at me. I can see the anger I his eyes. It makes the green pop out more and the brown become darker. I swallow hard. " He wanted to know who told me his name. I wouldn't give him the answer. So he was attacking me. But I still wouldn't tell him it was you. That was the only way I knew how to distract him. " Logan's expression softens but the anger in his eyes still remains.

" Why didn't you just tell him it was me? " asks Logan tightly.

" I was protecting you. I couldn't let you get hurt because of me, " I mumble. A single tear falls down my cheek and I quickly brush it away. I look down at the ground. Logan reaches over a tilts my chin up.

" Okay... Are we good now? " he asks.

" What do you mean? " I question.

" Like is the story of us ending soon? " he asks with a sad half smile.

" I- I don't know, " I stammer. " This has changed us. In some ways good and in others bad. I know that we won't be the same ever. We might come pretty close, but but you made a freaking Grand Canyon we have to cross. And I don't think I am strong enough to survive that. But I can't let you go. My heart can't do that. Time can heal but this won't. " I didn't know how to express what I feel about us but just like always Taylor Swift does.

" We will make it work then. And I will be there to put you back together if you break, " he says. Ugh... Must this be so frustrating?

" You son of a demon, do you not get what I am trying to say? " I shout at him.

" Did you really just call me a ' son of a demon' ? " he asks incredulously.

" Yes I did! Now please just tell me if you get it! " I yell.

" I get what you are trying to say, but I can't let go of you either, " he says softly. Oh...that voice. His eyes lock onto mine and I begin drowning. No this can't be happening.

" And when I was drowning that's when I could finally breath, " I whisper. I have reached to point of no return. I step forward and grab the collar of his shirt, yanking him closer to me. I press my lips against his. He doesn't even hesitate to kiss me back. Our lips move in sync, almost like a song. A song I never want to end.

It should be on a constant loop forevermore. Then reality comes crashing down on top of me and I find myself breathless. But it couldn't, not after what happened. I pull away quickly, and release him. I look at the ground and wring my hands. I can feel my face flush.

" S-sorry, I shouldn't h-have. I...um...didn't i-intend on...uh...doing that. I c-can't. I won't b-break anymore, " I stammer.

" Pen, baby, " he says. He sound breathless. My heart melts at the pet name. No, I can't.

" C-can we just be friends? " I say in a rush, stumbling over my words. My heart shatters with my own words. He just simply stares at me for a moment.

" That never works, " he mumbles.

" Can we at least try? " I beg. I know I can't let go completely but I can't hold on completely either. I look up at him and study his chisled jaw, and light brown hair. Hastily I look away. I can't cave.

" I can't let go of you, but I can't be friends with you and watch you date another guy, " he says.

" I can't date another guy because you haven't left the picture, " I mutter. I don't think he heard me, but I know I don't have the guts to repeat that.

" We can try being friends but if it doesn't work then I will walk away and I won't come back, " he says. I force a small smile.

" Okay, " I say. Just don't walk away. I can't afford to fall to pieces again. I lean over and kiss his cheek. It seemed friendly in my head but when I did that it felt more...romantic than friendly. I blush. " Uh... this is kind of new terrain, " I mutter.

" Oh beleive me, I could tell, " he says, sarcastically. Then he walks by me and along the pathway. His shoulders are tense and he curls his hands into fists. I close my eyes and sigh with relief. I didn't lose him completely, not yet at least.