Nine: Love Is Work

***Moon's P. O. V.***.

Clarke is a doctor in the pediatric intensive care unit at the hospital, so as soon as he heard that Crescent was in trouble, he rushed to treat him himself. They bring Crescent into a private room, since he's my mate and I don't want anyone seeing his body.

"Am I allowed to stay?" I ask Clarke, kind of wishing he'll say no so I don't have to witness this.

"Yes, just stay out of the way, please," he replies, gathering supplies. Crescent is struggling, trying to get up, crying and shaking. "Lay back, Crescent. Try to stay calm. You need to have your stomach cleaned out."

I watch in horror as Clarke tries to stick a tube up Crescent's nose, and he begins to fight like crazy. He's screaming at the top of his lungs. The nurses rush to restrain him, but he continues to pull at the restraints.

"I know it hurts, I know," Clarke says gently, pushing the long-ass tube farther into him.

One nurse puts a heart rate monitor on his finger, and is now putting an IV in his arm, and the other is drawing his blood. It's pretty heartbreaking to see. Once the tube is all the way in his nose and secured, Clarke begins to pump fluid out of it. In one long snip of a scissors, he cuts open Crescent's shirt, listening to his stomach with his stethoscope.

"Sounds good, Crescent. You're doing well. We'll give you something for he pain, okay? Try to relax," Clarke says.

My mate is still crying and trembling. They cut off the rest of his clothes, making my inner wolf growl.

"What are you doing?" I ask out loud.

"I gave him medication to make him poop so the drugs can get out of his system. In case he goes to the bathroom while he's asleep or unable to get up, I have to put a diaper on him," Clarke replies calmly.

"That's humiliating."

"Well, it's better than him having an accident all over himself and the bed."

Crescent has quieted down and is now whimpering quietly. The medicine is slowly taking effect.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey," Gregory whispers as he opens the door to Crescent's hospital room, holding a bouquet of flowers; a big teddy bear; and a 'Get Well' balloon. "How's he doing?"

"He's alright. Got himself another tube down his throat because he was having a hard time breathing. They're keeping him asleep for now, but they'll let him wake up tomorrow if he's stable," I answer.

"Poor little boy," Greg sighs, sitting down in a chair next to me. "Moon, what happened? Clarke told me that Crescent overdosed on medication."

"Someone blackmailed me to have sex with them, and he walked in as it started. He ran back to the house and I found him on the ground surrounded by pills."

"I just can't believe he tried to kill himself. What drove him to this? What have you been doing to him?"

"Nothing! I just-"

I stop talking. Yeah, I've been mean, but I haven't been too awful. Right? I know the situation with Jed looked bad, but why did he break like that?

"I can't let him go home with you after he's released if you're going to emotionally abuse him," Gregory says. "This is ridiculous. You need to take care of him. He's someone that hasn't known a ton of love in his life, but he's still happy and a wonderful person. You really don't deserve him."

"First of all, how dare you. I'm the alpha. There's nothing in this pack I don't deserve! And I'm sorry, okay? I know I fucked up! This is all my fault! I got that, and I hate myself for this! I'm going to make it up to him."