Twenty-Eight: The Announcement

***Crescent's P. O. V.***.

"I am proud to announce," Moon's voice rings out, "that Luna Crescent and I are expecting a pup come this fall!"

The crowd of people in this huge room cheer loudly, clapping their hands and whooping. I feel shy with all of them looking at me, so I bury my face in Moon's shirt. His hand reaches down and rubs my back. I breath in slowly, but then I get a whiff of something I don't like. Ugh, Moon!

I look up at him with a sad look on my face. He cocks his head to the side in question, but he finishes up his speech before asking what's wrong.

"Are you alright?" he asks as the hundreds of people that came to hear him start filing out of the auditorium.

"You've been smoking again!" I say accusingly.

"Well. . . It's a hard habit to break."

"You can't have cigarettes around me or the baby! And it's not good for you! What if you-" I almost say 'die', but I just can't.

"I'm sorry. I'll stop if you really want me to," he says softly.

"I do," I reply, still pouting.

"Then that's settled. You wanna go out to eat now?"

"No, Moon. I don't feel good. Can we just order pizza at home or something?" I ask.

"Sure. Whatever you want," he kisses my head before turning around and lifting me onto his back.

***Moon's P. O. V.***

"Push, Crescent, push! You can do it!" I say loudly, holding his wrist as he cries out in pain.

"I can't!" he screams.

"Don't give up! The baby is almost here!" I encourage.

"One last push and it's out," the doctor says.

Crescent pressed his legs back, veins on his neck bulging as he strains to give birth to our child. He moans and relaxes suddenly, breathing hard. I hear the doctor gasp, and I realize our newborn baby isn't crying.

"Let me hold my baby," Crescent whimpers.

The doctor doesn't reply, rushing to check the baby's vitals.

"What's going on??" I demand.

"I'm so sorry, Alpha," the doctor says. "Your child was stillborn."

Crescent's breathing hitches, and he lets out an ear piercing shriek.

"Let me see my baby!!" he screams. "Please!!!"

He continues to yell as I try to console him. Tears well up in my eyes. My pup is dead. My pup is dead. My. Pup. Is. Dead.

"Ow, Moon!" my mate suddenly cries.

"What?" I pull away frantically, looking him over.

Blood is pouring out of him where the child just emerged. I look around for the doctor, but he seems to have disappeared.

"Someone help!" I scream, trying to open the door to get a nurse or doctor's attention.

The door doesn't budge. What the fuck?

I turn back around to look at Crescent. He's pale and laying completely still.

"No!! Oh god, please no!"

I try to go to him, but everything around me fades and I'm left all alone in pure darkness. Then I feel myself falling. Falling into complete nothingness.