Twenty-Four: Sometimes Sleepovers Aren't Fun

***Moon's P. O. V.***.

"Get out of bed Crescent!" I nearly yell. "It's almost noon, and we're having lunch with my uncles! We've been trying to plan a get-together for weeks! What the hell is even with you today?? You never sleep past eight!"

"Leave me alone!" he yells back from under a mountain of blankets and pillows.

"You know what? I'll just drag you out, then!"

I toss all of the things that are covering him onto the floor and grab his slender body. He flails and screams at the top of his lungs. He bites me hard and I let go with a gasp.

"You little rat! Why are you being such a bitch??" I spit.

Suddenly, his lip juts out and tears begin to fall down his cheeks. He rolls into a ball and hides his face from me. Oh, great.

"Look, Crescent," I say, sitting down beside him. "You've been really rude to me all morning, and you won't say why. Are you angry at me?"

"My tummy hurts," he bawls.

"Why didn't you just say that in the first place? C'mere, babe," I bring him into my arms and nuzzle my head against his. "You have to tell me when you're not feeling well so that I can take care of you. I'll go ahead and cancel with Greg and Clarke, and you can spend today resting. That sound good?"

"But I want to see Greg and Clarke! I love them!"

"How about if you're feeling better by dinner time, then we can go to their house. Maybe you just ate something bad and it's gotta get out of your system."

He nods, smiling weakly.

"I have to try to get some work done, so why don't you do some school or just chill out?"

"Okay."

~~~~~~~~~~

"So how are you feeling now?" I ask later in the day, careful not to set him off. He's been having terrible mood swings all day.

"Much better! Let's go to your uncles' house!"

"Alrighty then. You're sure you're fine?"

"Yep!" he smiles.

I text Clarke and Greg that we're on our way before heading out the door. I'm not sure what's going on with Crescent. At first I thought he has what I had, but he seems okay now. . . Eh, maybe he just needed to take a good shit.

He snuggles up to me like usual on the way there. I wrap my arm around him hesitantly, aware of his fragile mood. He stays happy for awhile, even after we get there. He talks happily with my uncles, and I'm beginning to think he's back to normal. That's when I fuck up.

"I'm hungry!" Crescent says, demanding that I feed him some more snacks.

"You've eaten so much, though! You're gonna get chunky," I joke, although I was serious about him having eaten a ton.

He immediately bursts into tears.

"Why would you say that to me right now?" he cries as Clarke tries to calm him down.

Greg gives me a weird side glance.

"What?" I say defensively.

"Nothing, he's just acting strange," he says slowly.

"Sweetheart, don't cry. Moon didn't mean it," Clarke coos.

"I can't even remember why I'm crying!" Crescent wails.

"Then what's the point? Just calm down, and let's talk about something else," Greg suggests.

"Can I go upstairs and talk to Crescent alone?" Clarke asks suddenly, rubbing his little baby bump as he speaks.

"Why?" I ask in an almost snippy tone.

"Just because. We'll be right back."

"Fine," I mutter.

***Crescent's P. O. V.***

I follow Clarke upstairs, some tears still coming out of my eyes.

"I'm sorry, Clarke, I didn't mean to-"

"Don't worry, you're not in trouble. Come sit down," he says, patting the spot beside him on the bed. He puts his arm around me when I get settled. "So what's been going on, huh? Moon said you were sick earlier."

"I was. My tummy hurt and I slept in late because I kept getting woken up because of it."

"Did you throw up?" he asks.

"No. I just felt. . . I don't know the word for it."

"Nauseous?" he suggests.

"Yes. Nauseous."

"And you've been very emotional. Care to explain that?"

"Um, I don't know how to explain it. I'm just happy one second, and sad or mad the next!" I exclaim.

"Hm. Do you think you could do me a favor?" he asks, walking to the bathroom and taking something strange out of a drawer.

"Yes! Anything!"

"Look, this is a special test. You have to pee on that part for eight seconds, and then you close the cap and wait. Can you do that?"

"I-I think so. . ." I say, taking the weird stick thing from him.

I follow his instructions, and then I come out and give it back. It was actually pretty hard to do with my hands, but I managed.

"What is it for?" I ask curiously as we wait.

"I'll tell you when we get the results."

I groan and flop back on the bed impatiently. I hate waiting!

"It's done now," Clarke says after an eternity.

"Finally!" I exclaim.

"Can you read the word in that oval?" he asks.

"Um, well, lemme see. It says p-preg-gnant? Pregnant," I nod firmly before I make the connection.

"Looks like you're gonna have a baby, Crescent," Clarke smiles widely.

"No way!!!" I yell happily, taking the stick thing and running downstairs. "I have to tell Moon! He's gonna be so proud!!!"

***Moon's P. O. V.***

Crescent comes running down the stairs, yelling gleefully.

"Whoa, whoa, what's going on?" I ask, eyeing Gregory.

"Moon, look!" my mate squeals. "I'm pregnant!!! Can you believe it??"

I take the pregnancy test from him and read the results, my heart pounding. It's positive. He has my pup inside of him. A wave of panic washes over me as I realize what this means. I picture Crescent struggling to get around because of his huge belly. I imagine him crying and complaining of aches and pains. I see him screaming in agony, straining to give birth. It's too much. It's all too much.

"Moon? Hello? Are you okay?" my mate's far-off voice asks.

This is my fault. I'm so irresponsible. Crescent is going to be in pain because of me. I was so stupid! We didn't use protection for the longest time!

I cover my mouth to keep from vomiting and run from the house, not bothering to shut the door behind me.

***Crescent's P. O. V.***

"Where's he going?" I ask sadly.

"He's just. . . overwhelmed, I think," Clarke says.

"I thought having a baby would make him happy," I say, my voice making a funny sound.

"He's happy. He just has to think it all through. Right, Greg?" Clarke nudges his mate.

"Oh!" he coughs. "Right, right. When he comes back, he'll be super happy."

But Moon doesn't come back that night. I end up having a sleepover at Greg and Clarke's house, but it's not very fun. I cry most of the time while the uncles try to cheer me up. I eventually exhaust myself and fall asleep.