Thirty-Seven: The Miracle of Birth

***Moon's P. O. V.***.

This is certainly a daring move on our rival pack's part. We've done nothing to piss them off and they do this?? They just never learn.

Greg and I head straight to the armory, transforming into our wolf forms and locating our armor. A warrior still in his human form helps us suit up. We have on a helmet designed to fit our wolf heads, a chest plate and back armor, and claw extensions dipped in wolf's bane.

Greg and I look at each other grimly. My heart pounds like a hammer inside my ribcage. If I lose my life today, Crescent will be left all alone with our pups. I can't let that happen.

We form into ranks outside, me at the front. I bark out my orders as I see smoke billowing into the air in the distance. Great, they're gonna try to burn everything down. So not gonna happen.

I go with a troop of warriors towards the burning building, directing the others in small groups to defend the other residential areas. I pray to whatever god is listening that I can make it back safely to my koala.

***Crescent's P. O. V.***

"Clarke, w-would do I-I do?? Th-they said to h-help b-but I don't know h-how!" I bawl.

"Crescent, sssshhh. You're freaking out over nothing. It's going to be alright. You being here beside me is enough. Let's try to see if anyone here has any experience when it comes to child labor. Can you do that for me?"

"Y-yes, Clarke. I'll be r-right back."

I go around the room, stopping and asking the families huddled on their mats if they know about delivering babies. They all shake their heads no, or just look at me blankly. They're too scared to even talk.

"My uncle is in labor. Do you know anything about delivering babies?" I ask a woman sitting with her female mate, feeling myself start to cry again.

"I'm sorry, but no," she replies, holding her mate close.

I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around, tears in my eyes. A young guy, maybe twenty years old, stands behind me. His eyes turn down slightly at the ends, giving him a very kind look, and he has caramel colored hair.

"I-I'm an apprentice to a midwife who specializes in male pregnancy. I might be able to help you," he says quietly.

"Really?? Oh my gosh, thank you!" I exclaim, a couple tears coming out of my eyes.

"It's no problem, Luna Crescent. Where's your uncle?" he asks.

"He's over here!" I say, leading him quickly back to Clarke. "His name is Clarke."

Clarke is holding his stomach when we get to him, little drops of sweat forming on his upper lip. He's still breathing evenly.

"I found someone!" I say, dropping to my knees beside him.

"That's good, Crescent. Nice job," he says breathily.

"Hello, sir. I'm here to help," the guy I brought says, crouching down too. "My name is Matthew Evans. I'm an apprentice to a midwife who assists men in labor."

"Good to meet you," Clarke says quietly.

"Do you know how long ago active labor began?" Matthew asks.

"I was checked into the birth center about two hours ago and I was dilated two centimeters."

"Okay. So you still have a ways to go. You seem to be doing very well, just keep breathing. If you want to move around, you can. Or you can try to sleep if you think you can."