Forty-Two: Life Goes On

~~~Thirteen Years Later~~~

***Moon's P. O. V.***

I open my eyes slowly as I hear the sound of birds chirping. A soft breeze comes through the window. It's six-thirty in the morning. Time to get the kids up for school.

"Morning, honey," I say, rolling over.

Right. He's not here. I sigh loudly. I sit up and stretch, my back cracking. My fuzzy slippers go on my feet, and then I go wake up all the kids. I start with Ella, then Nathan and Charlie, and finally Peter. None of them have wolf names. I didn't want them to. Having a wolf name is a bother out in the real world. I mean, come on, how many people do you know of who are named Moon?       

I'm so proud of my little pups. They've grown up to be such good kids. They're all thirteen years old now. Peter is destined to be the next Alpha. He's a guy of few words, and he hardly shows any emotion besides angry. He prefers to stay in the background and just watch things unfold. He has blond hair like Crescent. Ella is my princess. She has long brown hair and glasses. She's got me wrapped around her little finger! I just can't say no to her. Nathan and Charlie are best friends. Nathan has brown; semi-long hair that he keeps in a small ponytail, and Charlie has black hair that's kinda shaggy.

"Peter, get up," I say roughly, knowing if I don't make him get out of bed now, he won't ever. He growls at me angrily.

"Do you want me to take away your phone?" I threaten.

"Ugh, no," he groans, sitting up.

"If you're not ready by the time the bus gets here, I'm making you go as is and your phone is gone," I say before heading to Eddy's room.

The situation with Eddy has been difficult. We had him tested to see if he could get pregnant, so that we could avoid pursuing treatment for his disabilities and let his body fix itself when he's older. But, unfortunately, he doesn't even have the right organs to carry a baby. He's had so many surgeries that I've lost count, but his body is far from normal. His spine is curved so he's always leaning to the left (he's getting it fixed soon); his hands are like Crescent's were; and even though he can extend his arms, he prefers keeping them folded in to his chest. Same for his legs. His feet have been fixed to the point where he can stand on the outer part of them (he's, like, really pigeon-toed), but he needs a walker to support him. And most abnormal of all, he hasn't grown much. He's the size of a four year old. His arms and legs are very skinny from lack of use, but his belly is swollen like an infant. I'm actually kind of glad that's the way he is, because it makes it easy to carry him around. He has a wheelchair, but he loves being carried, so that's what we do most of the time. He also has some mental problems, but we don't know exactly what. He just has a hard time communicating, and he acts like a little kid. Oh well, he's adorable.

"Hey, baby," I say, opening the door to Eddy's bedroom.

"Morning," Crescent says quietly. "Be quiet, Eddy's still asleep."

"Okay," I whisper. "You wanna help me make breakfast?"

"Sure."

He kisses Eddy, who's sleeping beside him. Then he gets up and goes to the bathroom. We go downstairs together and start cooking a big breakfast.

"You never sleep with me anymore," I whine. "I miss you, ya know."

I come up behind him and nibble on his ear.

"Oh, stop," he giggles, pushing me away. "I just can't help it! Eddy is so cute! And besides, he gets lonely!"

"Come on, baby. I need you!" I insist.