The King Returns

I took a long drag from my cigarette, blowing the smoke out into the already smoky air of the Hideout. I leaned back in my chair and looked at Gareth and Jeff, annoyed.

"We've been waiting for twenty minutes," I seethed, sipping at the whiskey I had bought. Gareth shrugged.

"I don't know what to tell you, man – we've got to meet with the new talent manager to get our spot back," he replied. I groaned and rolled my eyes.

"Dude – it's your fault we even lost our spot. Who decided that they needed to go out on their own for two years and then came crawling back to Hawkins, tail tucked between their legs?" Jeff asked. I gritted my teeth together and tensed my jaw.

"As I have said before, I'm sorry, but how many times are you going to bring—"

"As many times as it takes for me to be less pissed at you," Jeff hissed.

"Oh, seriously? Knowing you, that will be a decade from now," I snapped, leaning forward and glaring at my best friend. Jeff opened his mouth, but Gareth leapt up.

"Hi, Elle!" he greeted, waving awkwardly. I turned, ready to rip into the person who had made me wait for so long. My anger quickly dissipated when I saw the new talent manager.

She was a flurry of energy, setting papers down on a table in front of the stage and a pen behind her ear. She was beautiful – dark hair and bright eyes, tattoos up and down her arms. She was in a tight, black dress that hugged her thick curves, and I couldn't stop looking at her. She glanced up, looking directly at Gareth.

"Sorry, Gareth – got stuck on a call with our liquor distributor," she explained, her smile lighting up her face. I continued to watch her, entranced by her energy and how she commanded a room. I cleared my throat and stood, ready to charm her.

"Hey, Elle – I'm Eddie Munson," I said, smiling at her and putting my hand out. She finally looked at me, and her once warm and bright smile was replaced with a deadpan stare.

"Drinking before an audition? That bodes well," she said simply, glancing down at my whiskey glass. I felt my face flush.

"I told you so, dumb ass," Jeff sniped. I smiled at her, desperate to win her over.

"Can't be rock and roll if you don't indulge, right?" I replied, putting my best smile on, running my hand through my hair. She raised an eyebrow and nodded once.

"Can't really perform if you're too trashed to rock, right?" she quipped, sitting down at the table she had chosen. I was annoyed. Women did not typically react to me like this. I set my hands on my hips.

"Eddie," Jeff warned. I snapped my head to him, and he was shaking his head. I rolled my eyes.

"I'm ready when you guys are," Elle said, crossing her legs and taking notes. I tempered my annoyance and we got on stage, each of us getting our instruments together. I went to the mic, putting on my stage persona and grinning at her.

"We are Corroded Coffin – thanks for the opportunity," I said into the mic. She nodded her head, her face still deadpan. I decided to use my tried-and-true method of winning girls over. "This is for the pretty lady in the audience."

I grinned, waiting for a smile, or an eye roll as she realized how scampish I was. I was met with neither. She continued to just stare straight ahead, her face not changing. Jeff groaned but Gareth counted us out, immediately getting us back on track.

---

Fucking Eddie Munson. Eddie Fucking Munson was back in town. I thought he moved away after graduation? He had made such a a big deal about it our senior year (his super, super senior year) and boasted about it in the halls.