Great Expectations

"Salt, shoot, lime," I giggled before lifting my shot glass. Eddie watched me, his eyes half-lidded, and ran his tongue along the inside of his mouth. The alcohol made me bold, made me less like the Ellie buried inside of me – but I still felt myself heat under his stare. His cheeks were pink from the drinks we had continued to share over shallow conversations.

"You think I don't know how to take a tequila shot, Belle?" he asked, leaning close to me. Instead of shrinking back like I normally would, I stayed firm and raised an eyebrow, keeping our faces close.

"I think you're afraid to take it, which is why you just keep talking about it," I shot back. Without waiting for an answer, I licked the salt off the rim of my shot, threw it back and sunk my teeth into the lime. I scrunched my eyes together from the burn, and when I opened them, Eddie was watching me with a dropped jaw. I smiled at him.

"If you aren't careful, I'll fall in love you," he quipped. I rolled my eyes and poked his chest.

"Take the shot," I ordered. He continued to watch me, and I gave him a shit-eating grin. "Or don't – pussy."

His eyes flashed but his grin grew. He took this shot without the salt rim. Instead of biting into the lime, he took the sides of my mouth and popped it open, setting the lime between my teeth. He tapped my chin and made me bite down on it, shocking me with his gesture. I felt my stomach flip-flopping at the swift movements and my heart started to pound when he set his mouth by my ear.

"To clean that mouth of yours out," he whispered lowly.

I felt heat creep up my neck and cleared my throat, trying to stay calm and collected. I tossed my hair over my shoulder and tried to hide my blush. Instead of moving away from me, he kept his lips close to my ear and traced the back of my neck with a finger.

"You've got tattoos all over," he commented quietly. I rolled my shoulders and leaned back, smiling tightly. He had noticed the script I had on the back of my neck. He winked at me. "Backing down now?"

"Don't want you getting any ideas," I quipped. I took a sip of my gin and tonic. "Not that you're capable of getting many of those."

He set his hand over his heart, scrunching his eyes.

"You wound me, Belle," he whined. He opened his eyes and flashed that smile again. I rolled my eyes.

"You're ridiculous," I commented. He winked at me.

"Just crazy for you," he flirted. I scoffed.

"Alright, kids," Grant sighed, sauntering over. "We've got to close up."

My eyes widened as I realize how late it must be and I shook my head. I had spent so much more time with him than I intended to. Grant had gone back behind the bar, helping Nick clean. I stood and felt wobbly as I gathered my bag. I felt a hand on the small of my back and felt my face turn crimson. I looked at Eddie, and he grinned.

"Just making sure you don't fall over, lightweight," he teased. I snorted and rolled my eyes.

"Better a lightweight than a pussy," I quipped.

He laughed and we started walking out together. I waved goodbye to Grant and Nick, glaring at Nick when he started making kissing faces at me. We got out to the parking lot and I stopped.

"We can't drive," I announced. He laughed and shook his head.

"We definitely can't drive," he agreed. I sighed and rubbed my face, now annoyed that I had let a wall down and decided to be nice to Eddie. He squeezed my elbow and I looked at him, shooting a withering glare. "Come on, I'll walk you home."