Two Belle's

"He's so dreamy," Nick sighed as we washed dishes. I rolled my eyes.

"What happened to spitting in every one of his shift drinks?" I asked, raising my eyebrow. He smirked and shrugged at me.

"That was before you two became friends – now I want you guys to end up together," he quipped, leaning into me.

"We aren't friends," I replied, making my tone forceful. Nick waggled his eyebrows at me.

"Maybe not, but I've seen the way that boy watches you," he insisted. I rolled my eyes, but I felt my face flush. I glanced up at Eddie and watched him as he made Grant laugh about something.

We had settled into a strange but careful friendship over the last couple of weeks. After he had "reintroduced" himself to me, he had spent every shift asking me questions and trying to get to know me. I still had my wall up, so it was a lot of work for him. But he was persistent.

Eddie turned to me and his face split into a huge grin, making my stomach flip. He bounded over to me, and I immediately felt flustered and tried to find my exit. Nick, however, took the opportunity to block me behind the bar so I would talk to Eddie. I glared at him, but Nick smiled at me, winking cheekily.

"Hi, Belle," Eddie said, leaning over the counter. I smiled tightly at me.

"Hi, Eddie," I replied. His smile grew.

"I miss my old nickname," he said flirtatiously. I rolled my eyes.

"Well, then I'll be sure to never use it again," I quipped. He laughed and shook his head.

"You wound me, Belle," he teased. I suppressed my smile. "Shift drink tonight?"

Eddie had asked me this every shift since he had come over to my apartment. And I had said no every time.

"Are you ever going to give up?" I asked, exasperated. He winked again.

"Never, Belle," he replied. I watched him and was about to say no before Nick interrupted me.

"Come on, Ellie-girl – you and Eddie will get cut early tonight so what's the harm? Eddie knows your drink now, too," Nick gushed. I felt a wave of anger and stared at him incredulously. Eddie tapped the counter in front of me, making me look at him. His smile was bright and contagious, and I had to stop myself from smiling back.

"Just one. As friends," he pushed. I felt my resolve crack.

"Fine. But no truth or drink," I conceded. He let out a cheer and winked at me. I felt those familiar remnants of my awful crush.

"I'll be counting down the seconds," he flirted, walking backwards to go finish some of his tasks. I rolled my eyes but felt my face flush. Shit. This was not good.

---

I watched Elle, careful to make sure she didn't catch me staring. I can't believe I hadn't recognized her. When she didn't know I was watching, she was still that same Ellie Fisher. Still sweet and helpful, always doing the things that no one noticed but that needed to be done. I remember in high school how she would always pick up stray papers on the floor, always helping the janitor.

Ever since I realized who she was, it was like someone had loosened the dam of memories, and I was constantly struck by different recollections of her. How she would chew the top of her pens when she was thinking. How she would widen her eyes when I caught her off guard and how her cheeks would turn pink. How she would pause before answering a question, mulling through her answer in her head.

She snapped her head to me, narrowing her eyes. I felt my face flush and smiled nervously at her as I waved. She rolled her eyes at me and visibly scoffed before going back to her tasks.