The Melody

I took my third shower of the day, trying to scrub away my exhaustion and memory from the night before. I felt skeevy and disgusted, like only boiling hot water could wash it away. I shut the water off and got out, wrapping my towel around me. I dried off and slipped into my favorite robe before curling up into my bed. I picked up the book I was currently re-reading – Pride and Prejudice – and settled in.

I couldn't focus on the words, still too frazzled and distracted. I sighed and set my favorite book down, looking out my window.

The Eddie who helped me last night was nothing like the version I remembered and knew well. This new version of Eddie was thoughtful and helpful. I was grateful that he was absent-minded enough to leave his keys behind, because had he not...

I stopped myself before thinking further. I couldn't do that to myself. I shook my head and took in a shuddering breath. I thought more about Eddie.

He still made me feel like that nerdy girl in high school. The one who was head over heels for him and believed everything he told me. I felt my eyes sting with tears at all the memories and I felt a pang in my chest at the memory of what he said last night.

"Yeah, but I don't even know you, Elle, how is that any fair?"

Of course, he didn't remember me. I felt small again and tried blinking back my tears. I had worked so hard to build my steely exterior up and he had managed to weasel his way around it, even unconsciously. I wiped my face and sniffled.

Quit being that girl, dumbass.

I got up and went to my closet. I sorted through all of my usual outfits – primarily black dresses – and picked my favorite one to feel better. I shimmied into it and went to my mirror.

I spent additional time on my makeup, wanting to make myself feel better, and smiled once I finished. My hair was wild – curls askew from air drying it – so I started working on that. I hummed along to the David Bowie album I had put on and let my mind wander.

I started making a mental list of what I needed to do tonight. I needed to figure out who I was going to put on Saturday nights, sign for the liquor delivery, I needed to talk to Grant, the owner, to get footage and talk to him about hiring Eddie for security – oh that's right, Eddie was coming, I wonder if he'd stay for a drink and bother me, he probably would, I wonder if he'd like my dress...

I shook my head. You dumb girl – stop it. I took a deep breath in. We did not care about what Eddie Munson thought about us. Not anymore.

I finished my hair, grinning at well I got my curls to lay. I got up and grabbed my keys, ready to face the Hideout.

---

"I cannot believe you convinced her to give you a job," Gareth scoffed, watching me as I pulled on a flannel. I grinned at him and started rolling my sleeves up.

"I told you, man – I'm going to win her over," I replied, looking at my mirror and fixing my hair.

"What happened last night? She was ready to set you on fire when she realized you were going to stay when we left," Jeff asked, sitting on my bed. I was quiet, pretending that I was preening my hair.

"Munson?" Gareth pressed when I wouldn't answer. I shrugged.

"We just talked a little – I helped her clean the bar up and walked her to her car," I replied, telling a half truth.

What happened to Elle was not my story to tell. I doubt she would even want anyone to know that she let me walk her to her car. Or that she told me what her favorite liquor was. I grinned.