Concoctions

"You could wear a brown paper bag and I wouldn't care, Belle," Eddie called from my living room. I groaned and rolled my eyes.

"Too bad I'm not dressing for you," I lied, sorting through my closet. I skipped over another dress and let out a squawk of annoyance.

"So, who are you dressing for?" he asked, suddenly much closer. I jumped and yelped, turning to glare at him.

"You need to wear a bell, you sneak," I hissed. His mouth twisted into a smile. He leaned against the door jamb of my closet.

"Who are you dressing for, Elle Fisher?" he repeated, raising an eyebrow. I turned back to my clothes and shrugged.

"Maybe some cute guy will show up," I teased. "Maybe Steve will come."

I felt the hair on my neck stand on edge when he stepped close to me, setting his hands on my waist.

"You're fucking mean," he hissed, close to my ear. I looked at him, trying to play it cool.

"I forgot you like that – I'll start being nice," I quipped. He wrapped his arms around me, pulling my back to his chest and making my heart skip.

"Wear that dress," he whispered, nodding at the dark dress I was currently holding. He kissed my temple and dropped me, leaving me flustered as he walked back out to my living room and turned my music up.

This was stupid. I was stupid. I wanted to throw the dress on the ground and find something else to wear.

But because I'm stupid, I started pulling it on, finding shoes to go with it. I stormed to my bathroom and fussed with my hair and fixed my makeup. I took a deep breath and looked in the mirror.

"Just friends," I lectured myself. I tossed my hair over my shoulder and went back out into the living room. Eddie's eyes widened and he got a stupid grin on his face.

"I thought you weren't dressing for me," he said in a singsong voice. I gave him a withering stare.

"No, I just like this dress," I lied. Again. He smirked and shrugged.

"Whatever you say, sweet pea – either way, I think you look beautiful," he complimented. His smile made my heart skip, and I looked down at my feet.

"Thank you," I mumbled, grabbing my bag and stepping around him. He stopped me, gently taking my waist. He grinned at me, and my heart started to pound. "What?"

"One second," he said quietly, reaching out with his thumb and swiping it under my lips. He smiled. "You had a smudge."

"Th-thank you," I stammered. He winked.

"What are friends for?" he teased before dropping me and walking out of my apartment. I started to lecture myself again.

Just friends. He could break your heart. Quit being stupid.

I followed him out, locking my door and trying to calm my heart when he snaked his hand around my waist and guided me out of the building. He was talking about a song he wrote, explaining how he got the idea for it as he helped me into the van. I was staring at him lips, unable to think of anything else. He grinned wickedly.

"You good, Belle?" he asked.

"I'm fine!" I snapped, turning straight ahead. He laughed and closed his van door and trotted to his side. Before he got in, I let out a groan. He got in and winked at me.

"Can you be my navigator, sweet pea?" he asked.

I nodded, refusing to look at him. He started the van and started down the road, setting a hand on the inside of thigh. I could feel him look at me and tried to will my blush away. I started to awkwardly guide him towards Alan's, staring straight ahead. We continued to drive, and Eddie got uncomfortably quiet. I looked at him, concerned.