Multitudes

I smiled up at Eddie, still laying on my stomach. He winked and kissed my shoulder sweetly.

"I'm not used to those smiles, sweet pea," he teased, tracing my bare back. We were still in bed, still undressed from the night before.

"I don't mind never smiling at you, then," I joked back. He rolled his eyes and propped himself up on his side, beaming at me.

"I didn't say I didn't like them, I said I wasn't used to them," he insisted, pulling me closer. I was uncharacteristically content this morning, the typical ire that Eddie drew out in me not present this morning.

We had a fun night together – we got back to my apartment and instead of jumping into bed with each other, I decided to make us drinks and play music.

"Are you dancing, Belle?" he asked, stunned by my swaying. I handed him a Tom Collins and clinked our drinks together. I took a sip and shrugged.

"I contain multitudes," I quipped, stepping around him and going to my stereo. I sifted through my cassettes until I settled on a Joy Division album. I popped it in, starting to sway, when Eddie set his hands on my hips. I tried to calm my breathing down as he set his face in the crook of my neck.

"Does one of your multitudes want to dance with me?" he asked quietly. I looked at him, smiling the smile that he was apparently unused to. I leaned back into his chest.

"Only because you were practically green with envy tonight," I teased, turning in his arms. He groaned and rolled his eyes but wrapped an arm around the small of my back and took my hand in his.

"You were doing that on purpose," he pushed as we swayed together. I laughed and shook my head.

"Eddie, Steve is just a friend. It's nothing but harmless flirting," I replied. He twisted his mouth.

"We're just friends," he said. I felt my stomach flip and watched him for a beat.

"Fair enough. But you and I are actually, kind of friends now," I explained. He raised an eyebrow. "I let you into my apartment and everything. You're the stray I made the mistake of feeding and now can't get rid of."

"You and Steve aren't friends like we're friends?" he continued, wanting validation. I laughed and wrapped an arm around his neck.

"No, sugar," I assured him. He blushed at the nickname he said he liked – he was so simple sometimes. So easy to get to. "I only see him at the bar. I can start seeing him more, though, if you'd like."

"Why do you enjoy torturing me?" he whined, pulling me tighter. I laughed as he dipped me back and when he pulled me back, I watched him.

Maybe I didn't hate him as much anymore. Maybe he had shown me that he wasn't that boy who broke my heart. Maybe we were actually friends.

He took the back of my neck and pulled me to him, kissing me deeply. I thought for a moment, wondering if I should pause this. But then he moved his hand to my thigh, squeezing it tightly. I melted into him and grabbed him by the collar, pulling him to the bed with me.

Eddie continued to kiss my bare shoulder, sweetly and chastely. It was strange when he was like this, lovesick and touchy. I closed my eyes and sighed happily. He moved his hand across my back and pulled me close to him. He set his face in the back of my neck and took a deep breath in.

"You smell so good," he whispered. My good mood continued.

"Wish I could say the same about you," I teased. I opened one of my eyes, grinning slyly. He was watching me with a bemused look. "What?"

He didn't answer me, instead tickling my sides and making me shriek with laughter. I wiggled around and begged him to stop. He finally did and got close to my face.

"Don't be mean to me, Belle," he ordered. I scoffed and rolled out of bed, grabbing a shirt off the ground and pulling it on.

"You prefer it when I'm mean," I remarked, giving him a withering stare. He groaned and threw himself back onto my bed as I went to the bathroom to freshen up.

---

I stared up at Elle's ceiling, my heart pounding and her scent all around me. I noticed the small, glow-in-the-dark stars she had placed up there. Why hadn't I noticed them before? I had spent enough time in this spot.

I rolled over, facing her bathroom door. I propped myself up on my elbow and listened to her move around, grinning when she dropped something and cursed at it. She finally came out, running her hands through her curls and moving around in a flurry.

"Come back to bed, sweet pea," I asked, holding my hand out. She turned, grinning slyly at me. She leaned back on her kitchen counter, crossing her arms.

"Do you have today off?" she asked. I furrowed my brows.

"Why?"

She groaned and went into her kitchen.

"It's a yes or no question, Mr. Munson!" she called out, clinking different things together. I smelled the coffee she had often brewed for us.

"I'm concerned if I answer it wrong, you'll kick me out," I answered, hoping the truth wouldn't bite me in the ass.

She reappeared with two mugs in her hands, smiling wryly. She sat on the edge of her bed and handed me one of the coffees. I took a sip and sat up, leaning close to her. She turned her head to the side.

"Yes or no, Mr. Munson?" she asked again. I twisted my mouth together and watched her. I let a sigh out.

"Yes, I'm off today," I answered finally. She grinned and nodded as she sipped at her coffee.

"Okay," she replied. I set my hand on her thigh and looked at her, pleading her.

"Please don't kick me out," I begged. She laughed and set a hand on the side of my face.

"I'm not going to, sugar," she insisted. My chest seized at my nickname, and I grinned at her. She tapped my cheek with my thumb. "We're going to hang out today."

I wanted to leap up and kiss her. I wanted to pump my fists and cheer. I wanted to celebrate and celebrate loudly. But I tempered myself.

"Yeah?" I asked coolly. "What are we going to do?"

Her smile grew and she kissed me softly. I felt my heart burst – she never did that first. She stood and I watched her, my mouth dry and chest tightening.

"We are on a mission today," she explained. She started walking off but looked over her shoulder at me. "Today, we're going to see Dustin Henderson."

Any good feelings I had disappeared, and I was suddenly filled with dread.