Brick Walls

You're being annoying," Elle snapped as I ghosted her lips again. I grinned as she tried to pull me to her lips and held myself back.

"You're being needy," I replied. She groaned and threw her head back. I kissed her neck, knowing it would drive her crazy. She laced her fingers in my hair, and I grinned into her touch.

"I'm going to leave," she snapped as I snaked a hand up her shirt. I chuckled into her neck and came back to her face.

"Then leave, sweet pea," I dared. She glared at me and started to roll out from underneath me, and I started to panic. "Wait, no, no, no, I wasn't serious!"

She stopped and looked up at me, grinning wickedly.

"You are so easy," she quipped. I smiled and rolled my eyes.

"So mean," I said before kissing her deeply. She keened into my touch and felt a surge of pride knowing what I did to her.

After I had checked on Wayne again, Elle had insisted that we clean the trailer – "How can you live like this, you should be embarrassed bringing girls back here!" – and had put me to work. She rolled her eyes and taught me how to clean properly, admonishing me when I tried to cut corners. We cleaned for a while – Elle listened to me as I told her stories and made me laugh with her jokes – and once she felt like we had done enough, she pulled me to my room, surprising me by making the first move.

"Thanks for helping me clean," I sighed between kisses. She grinned into my touch and pulled back.

"You need to keep up with it – it's not fair to Wayne if you let it get out of hand," she ordered. I smiled and brushed her hair out of her face before kissing her nose softly.

"If I don't, will you come over more to help?" I flirted. She rolled her eyes and wrapped her arms around my neck.

"Not to clean," she replied. She tucked a piece of my hair behind my ear. "But I'll come over to hang out with Wayne."

I smiled. It was touching how much she had taken to the man who raised me, and I could tell how much Wayne liked her. It was impossible not to like her.

"Not to hang out with me?" I asked quietly. She shrugged.

"If I had to pick between the Munson men, Wayne would win that competition," she teased. I kissed her again and rolled onto my side, pulling her close to me.

"I'd pick him, too," I quipped, kissing her forehead. She pulled back and looked up at me, furrowing her brows. I stroked her hair. "What?"

"Why are you being so lovey today?" she questioned. I felt a pang in my chest.

"I'm always lovey when it comes to you," I answered without actually answering her question. That I knew what I had done, and I knew I would never deserve her. And I needed her to know I would never be embarrassed by her, but I hadn't figured out how to show her that.

"No, this is different," she insisted. I shrugged and wrapped her tighter to me before kissing her forehead.

"I think you're overthinking things," I replied. She sighed.

"You aren't telling me what you're actually thinking," she said, nuzzling her head under my chin. I scoffed.

"Big talk coming from you, Ms. Brick Wall herself," I joked. She looked up at me.

"I tell you things," she retorted. I furrowed my brows.

"In what world do you think you share things with me?" I asked, confused by her insistence.

"Just because I don't tell you every single thought that comes to my head, doesn't mean I don't share things," she said. I shook my head.

"No, you don't, Belle."

"Yes, I do, Eddie," she replied, mimicking my voice. I sat up and looked at her.

"What is with you trying to convince me of this? You don't share a lot with me. When you do, I have to drag it out of you," I said firmly. She sat up and looked me straight in the eyes, glaring. "It's not a bad thing, Elle."

"You're making it seem like you are always so open and willing to share—"

"Because I am," I interrupted. Her glare deepened.

"That's not fair," she snapped.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, confused. "I wasn't starting anything. You don't tell me things—"

"Yes, I do!"

"You didn't even tell me why you actually had a problem with me for all of these years until you got drunk last night!" I exclaimed, exasperated by whatever this was. Her eyes widened, and I felt my stomach drop. "Wait, Elle—"

"I have to go," she squeaked, suddenly bright red. I took her arms, trying to keep her there. I was absolutely panicked.

"Belle, wait, please don't—"

"I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have said anything, I'm so, so sorry," she said quickly, refusing to look at me and getting out of my hold. I was stunned – this Elle was unrecognizable. She quickly gathered her bag and things, and I realized how meek and shy she was acting.

"No, Belle, you don't have anything to apologize for—"

"That's so embarrassing, I can't believe I did that," she murmured, almost to herself. I stood blocking the door and trying to take her hands. She looked so upset – I couldn't place the emotion on her face.

"Sweet pea, please, there's nothing for you to be embarrassed by," I insisted. I set my hands on her shoulders, trying to get her to look at me, but she refused. "Please, Elle, it's okay—"

"I'm sorry," she croaked, moving my hands off her and trying to step around me. I suddenly realized what emotion was all over her face – she was embarrassed. I don't think I had ever seen Elle embarrassed.

"Ellie, calm down—"

"Don't," she ordered, suddenly furious. She looked me square in the eyes, glowering at me. "Don't ever call me that."

"I'm sorry—"

"Let me go," she hissed, trying to push through again.

I panicked – I didn't know what had happened or how this had devolved so quickly. She got past me, but I caught her hand, pulling her back to me. I wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her close before she could evade me again.

"Elle, you have nothing to be embarrassed about," I assured her, wanting to go back to where we were before. Her eyes were welling with tears, and I felt my heart crumble. "Please, please, don't run off."

"I'm really sorry, I shouldn't have said anything," she repeated, her voice trembling. I groaned and buried my face in her neck. "I need to go, please."

I looked back up at her.

"Elle, please – why are you embarrassed? I should be the one who's embarrassed. I didn't mean what I said, I was being an idiot for my friends—"

"And you were embarrassed by me," she interrupted, a tear finally falling. Broken down and sad Elle was unrecognizable to my normal Elle. I hated being the cause of this.

"I would never be embarrassed by you, Elle," I insisted. She swallowed hard and shook her head.

"I don't know if I will ever believe that," she practically whispered. I felt my heart break at her echo of her words last night. This time, though, it felt different. It felt final.

"Please, Belle, I can prove it—"

"I need to go, please," she repeated. I shook my head.

"I drove you here—"

"I'll figure it out. Please," she begged.

I watched her for a beat, wanting to drag her back to my room to talk and go back to our strange friendship. But I knew it had shifted. I let her go, setting my hands on my hips as I watched her leave.

"Please get home safe," I called out lamely, wanting to say something – anything – to her. She didn't look back at me as she closed the door behind her. She didn't even slam it. If she had slammed it, I could have at least known that I was watching my Elle leave.

But I wasn't. I was watching Ellie Fisher leave.