Shift Drinks

I watched Elle as she made one of the regulars laugh some more and felt a wave of jealousy. I crossed my arms and tried not to pout.

Over the last week, I had learned that Elle's surly attitude I had fallen in love with was reserved only for me. With everyone else, she was funny and kind, and was more than one person's favorite. People were often surprised by how venomous she was with me, and she would quickly make them laugh with a well-timed joke (often at my expense.)

It only made me crazier for her.

"What's wrong, sour puss?" Nick asked as he walked in, finishing his cigarette and blowing out his last puff of smoke. I couldn't fake a smile, even for Nick. I gestured to Elle.

"She hates me and won't even let me try to win her over," I whined, watching her as she listened to the regulars. Nick laughed.

"Oh, Eddie – she doesn't hate you," Nick laughed, shaking his head. I furrowed my brows.

"Yes, she does – do you not hear half the things she says to me?" I asked. He smiled and set a hand on the side of my face – he often had a flair for the dramatics.

"You sweet child – it's adorable how clueless you two can be," he said cryptically.

I furrowed my brows and he cackled before prancing off to the bar. I watched him and shook my head, even more confused than before. I looked back over at Elle, and she was watching me with a withering look. I grinned and waved. She rolled her eyes and picked up her clipboard. I thought about what Nick said and crossed over to Elle as she checked the stage.

"Hey, Belle," I greeted. She continued to tidy cables.

"Hi, Eddie," she replied. I felt my heart skip.

"Eddie? Are you no longer using my nickname?" I flirted, following her around. She groaned.

"It was an accident," she snapped. I grinned wider.

"Maybe it was your subconscious trying to tell you something," I continued. She snorted.

"Like what? Your name?"

"Or that maybe you should let me buy you a drink," I said. She finally looked at me, her face deadpan and annoyed. I winked at her. "Maybe a gin and tonic."

I had asked her to have a shift drink with me every night since I started on security, and she turned me down every time.

"I regret telling you my drink of choice," she quipped, less venom in her voice. I stepped in front of her, walking backwards as she tried to move past me.

"You know, now that I've worked here for a week, I know that not only are you capable of being as sweet as you look, but you also often tend to be that sweet to everyone else," I replied. She rolled her eyes, another smile tugging at her lips. I loved when I made her smile like that.

"Maybe you should take that as a hint," she said, refusing to look at me. I stopped in front of her, delighting when she crashed into my chest. She looked up at me, her eyes wide and surprised. I felt that nagging wave of familiarity again.

"I've never been good with hints," I said quietly, leaning close to her face. She turned red and I grinned. "Come on. Have a shift drink with me tonight. As friends."

---

I watched Eddie, the inside of my chest twisting and turning. He was close to my face, and his smile was the same one that made my stomach flip all those years ago. I couldn't believe he didn't recognize me. I spent all of that time with him, and he didn't recognize me.

"Sure," I replied before I could stop myself. His face split into unbridled joy, and I tried to quell my heart.

"Belle, I will be counting down the seconds until we can get our drink together," he said, leaning even close to my face. I tried to raise my walls again.