Tape World

I squeezed Eddie's hand as he stared at the entrance of the mall. We were still in his van and had parked about fifteen minutes ago. After his attempts to get into my pants were unsuccessful, he just got quiet and stared at the building.

"Can't make up with Dustin if you don't get out of the van," I said, my tone teasing and kind. He sighed and leaned back into his seat before looking over at me.

"Can't make out with each other if we leave the van," he quipped. I laughed and shoved his shoulder.

"I'm being serious, you pervert," I replied. His smile was nervous, and he swallowed hard. He looked away again.

"I think I missed Dustin the most after I left," he said quietly. I felt my heart soften. I hated when he was vulnerable with me. It made my affection for him worse, and soft and malleable again. I had come far from hating Eddie Munson – I liked him, and, even worse, considered him a friend.

Before I could stop myself, I moved my hand to his hair, stroking it gently. He closed his eyes and hummed happily.

"He missed you, too."

"No – he hates me now," Eddie insisted. I felt an overwhelming urge to placate Eddie and make him feel better.

"He's just angry – whenever people are that kind of angry, it's because they really care," I explained. He looked at me, setting a large hand on my knee. His calloused fingertips started tracing designs into my leg.

"Is that why you were so mean to me?" he asked. I felt my face flush as he squeezed my thigh.

"I'm still mean to you. And we aren't talking about us – you are trying to avoid our mission," I pushed. He watched me carefully, his eyes crinkling.

"Okay, sweet pea. Let's go find Dustin," he finally conceded.

I grinned and started to move to get out of my seat when Eddie caught my arm. I turned, surprised, and before I could stop him, he wrapped his hand around the back of my neck. He yanked me to him, setting his face close to mine. He searched my eyes, and then kissed me sweetly. I pulled back, a flush blooming on my face, and didn't smack him or say something snarky. He smiled, still nervous, and kissed my cheek.

"Just needed some luck – I was the luckiest the first time you kissed me," he said before getting out of the van. I felt my body heat and could barely contain myself. I took a deep breath and tried to calm my heart down.

I was becoming too soft. And I didn't hate it.

Eddie opened the door for me, and I hopped out, smirking at him. I started walking towards the mall, my smile growing as Eddie got underfoot, walking close behind like he always did.

"I can't believe you got me to do this," he said quietly. I looked up at him and winked.

"Friends challenge each other. They make each other better," I quipped. A wicked smile spread across his face.

"They do? Could I challenge you to let me spend the night again?" he flirted. I scoffed and looked straight ahead, willing my blush away. He pinched my ass and I yelped. I spun on my heel and tried to smack his chest, my heart skipping when he grabbed my hand and pulled me close.

He watched me closely, his eyes tracing my features. He had started doing that more, staring at me and refusing to tell me what he was thinking. It made it impossible to keep my head on straight and made me fluttery.

"Holy shit, Eddie?" a voice called out. Eddie kept his hold around me and watched me for a beat longer before turning to the person calling out to him. A tall boy with tight curls and a letterman jacket had a bright smile on. Eddie's face lit up into a similar smile.