Wimp

"You're being a wimp," Elle sniped, setting her sunglasses over her eyes and crossing her arms.

"I just want to go back to bed with you," I retorted, gesturing up at her apartment. We were outside of her building, and she was leaned up against my van. She had practically dragged me out of her place, refusing to listen to my ideas of what we could do instead of seeing the boy who hated me now.

"No, you want to be a wimp and not see Dustin," she quipped. I sighed and ran my hand through my hair.

"He hates me—"

"His feelings are hurt," she interrupted. She shifted off the van and walked over to me, tilting her head to the side. She started smoothing the collar of my flannel out, sending electricity through my body. She leaned close to my face. It was unfair how good she was at playing me. "His feelings are hurt, and his pseudo-big brother needs to make it up to him."

I watched her. She raised an eyebrow and smirked at me. How could I have ever forgotten her? I wanted to kiss her, but I knew better.

"Why are you doing this?" I asked. I set my hands on my hips. "You know, if he and I make up, I'm not going to start bothering you less."

"Who said that's why I was doing this?" she asked. I scoffed.

"A couple weeks ago, while we were in bed, you said you hoped Dustin and I would make up so I would start leaving you alone. I'm not going to start leaving you alone," I replied, getting frantic. She shook her head.

"Color me shocked," she quipped. I raised an eyebrow, looking at her. She groaned and crossed her arms. "Eddie, you're kind of my friend. And you're obviously sad that Dustin isn't your friend anymore."

I felt my face split into a smile and set my hands on her waist to pull her close.

"And you don't like to see me sad? Because you care about me?" I teased, trying to kiss her. She groaned and shoved me away.

"Get off me, you're so needy sometimes," she sniped. I grinned wider and opened the van door for her.

"I need something from you," I flirted, pinching her behind as she climbed in. She smacked my hand and glared at me.

"Hands to yourself, pervert," she hissed. I beamed at her.

"You didn't say that last night," I replied before slamming the door in her face.

I laughed at how angry she got and trotted over to my side. I started the van and watched her as she set her feet on my dashboard and looked at me, leaning farther back in her seat. She was in a long, dark dress that had small flower designs all over it. It hung over her curves in a flattering way, and I continued to trace her body with my eyes. She raised an eyebrow.

"Stare much?" she snapped. I felt my mouth twist into a smile.

"Can't help it when the view is as pretty as you," I teased, pinching her side. She scoffed but I felt my heart skip when I saw her face flush. I turned my radio on and started down the road.

"So, where would Dustin be at this time of day on a Saturday?" she asked, crossing her ankles on my dash. I glanced at her, tilting my head to the side.

"Sometimes, I wonder if high school you would recognize you now," I said knowingly. She slid her glasses down her nose.

"Changing the subject, I see," she retorted. "You really are a wimp."

"I think Ellie would be blown away by Elle," I continued, setting my hand on the inside of her thigh. I desperately hoped she wouldn't remove my touch. I was thrilled when she simply crossed her arms.

"Yeah, and Ellie would be stupid enough to fall for your lines," she quipped. I squeezed the soft skin on her thigh, and she looked at me.

"You were never stupid," I said emphatically. It was this moment she let out a harsh laugh.

"Oh, I was stupid. I was so stupid back then, especially when I believed you," she insisted. I furrowed my brows.

"What do you mean?"

---

Every time Eddie acted like this, and said these things, it felt like knives to my chest. I enjoyed being his friend now, and whatever extra things came with it, but it nearly killed me when he played dumb about high school.

"Eddie, please, not now," I replied, gritting my teeth. He started tracing a design into my inner thigh, making my face hot.

"You always do that; you always blow me off when I ask about that."

"Because you know better," I snapped. His grip tightened. My head was at war with my heart. I should rip his hand off me. I should tell him to keep his hands to himself.

"I don't remember—"

"Tree remembers what the axe forgets," I interrupted. I looked at him. His brows were furrowed. "What?"

"You've said that before," he said quietly. "I...I don't know what it means."

I sighed and felt guilty before looking away. Right when I felt justified in my anger, he immediately softened me. I was becoming weak, losing my edge. If this was friendship with Eddie Munson, did I want it? I liked being the stony girl who kept her guard up. Eddie was making it impossible to be that girl.

"It...it means, that the axe leaves a mark on the tree. That the person who hurt another forgets but the person who gets hurt remembers," I explained. I looked back at him, and he had a pained expression.

"I hurt you?" he asked. I felt a wave of fury and self-pity. This was pathetic.

"Eddie, I'm in a good mood, and I want it to stay that way," I stated. I looked at him and tried smiling. "Let's not discuss all of that and ruin this day. Let me torture you with my form of friendship today."

He dropped my thigh, and I immediately felt an ache for his touch. God, I was losing my edge, this was embarrassing. I felt a rush of joy when he took my hand and pressed my knuckles to his lips. I didn't rip my hand out of his, letting him leave soft kisses in the divots between my knuckles. He was too good at dulling my sharpness and making me malleable.

"The Dustin I knew would be at the mall at this time today. Either in the food court or arcade," he said, finally answering my question. I squeezed his hand.

"So, it looks like we know where our adventure starts today," I replied, making him smile so much it made my chest ache.

I was such a wimp.