Like Rabbits

Elle laughed and shoved me off her as we walked into work together. I grinned and wrapped an arm around her waist, persisting in keeping her close.

"Eddie, I'm technically your boss! We have to be professional," she hissed, elbowing my side but not moving away from me. I kissed her temple and pressed my lips to her ear.

"You didn't used to care much about professionalism when you let me feel you up in the supply closet," I growled. She turned bright red and smacked my chest.

"Eddie Munson! It's my office!" she shrieked, making me laugh. I pulled her for a kiss, and despite her earlier protests of "professionalism", she melted into me. I pulled back, grinning at her pink cheeks and reluctant smile. She kissed me quickly and started walking with me again.

I smiled at Nick who was leaned up against the front of the Hideout, finishing his pre-shift cigarette. He blew a large plume of smoke out and grinned at the two of us.

"Well, well, well – if it isn't prettiest couple in Indiana!" he chirped, taking another drag. I felt Elle tense next to me. I knew she was still mad at Nick for how he ended the phone call with her yesterday.

"If it isn't the shittiest chef in Indiana," she hissed, dropping me and storming past Nick into the bar. Nick's jaw dropped and he looked at me.

"Is she still mad? I got sick too!" he exclaimed. I shrugged.

"She's mad because of the phone call," I explained, jamming my hands in my pockets. I'm not going to lie; it was nice being on this side of Elle's ire. Interpreting it for others, explaining why she was right, and what they should do to fix it.

"Seriously? It was a joke!" he groaned.

"I heard what you said," I replied. His eyes widened.

"Oh, well...sorry," he said. We started walking in together and he looked up at me. "You know, if you guys weren't banging like rabbits, I wouldn't have made that joke."

"Okay, well maybe don't make any comments," I suggested, patting his back, knowing that if Elle heard that joke, she would become murderous.

Elle was furiously unravelling cords by the stage, muttering to herself like she did when she was worked up. I watched her for a beat, grinning as I realized she was not worked up because of me.

That was a nice feeling.

I sauntered over to her, kneeling down as she was on the ground, laying the cables down.

"What?" she snapped, not looking up at me. God, I loved it when she was mean. I took the cables, making her glare up at me.

"Don't work yourself up," I said, keeping my voice even. Her eyes narrowed.

"Don't tell me what to do," she snapped. I crinkled my eyes at her and had her stand with me.

"He was making a joke—"

"A joke needs to be funny," she interrupted. I smiled and pulled her into my arms.

"Oh, yeah, Don Rickles? You're the authority on jokes now?" I teased. Her face softened with a smile, and she tried to glare again. I kissed her forehead.

"God, I miss it when I could be mean to you," she sighed. I laughed and kissed her softly.

"I'm sure you'll figure out how to wound my ego again," I joked. She gave me a bright smile – this one was one that made my heart stop. It lit up her entire face, and she poked my chest.

"You make it tough," she said. I grinned. Was she flirting? I pressed my forehead to hers.

"Just give it an hour," I flirted back. She finally laughed and I kissed her again before dropping her and helping her finish set up.