Concrete Girl

"I can't believe I saved your relationship," Dustin announced, smirking at me. I rolled my eyes and sorted through the different button ups at the thrift store.

"You didn't do any of the work, you were just a sneak," I replied, pulling out a black shirt and studying it.

The fancy store at the mall had turned out to be well out of my price range. Even after Dustin offered to chip in some of his paycheck (which I would have refused), it was too much. So, I had decided to go to the thrift store, and hoped to find something decent.

"Are you kidding me? I had to listen to you bitch and moan for days until she let you speak to her again," he quipped, holding up a gaudy tuxedo shirt with ruffles on it. I rolled my eyes.

"You're an asshole," I retorted. I pulled out a red button up, holding it up for him. He raised his eyebrows and nodded.

"Would look nice with a suit," he answered my unspoken question. I kept the shirt in my hand and started over to the suits section. Dustin was close behind.

"Thank you," I said abruptly. I glanced at Dustin, who was surprised. I shrugged. "I'm pissed that she knows I wrote dorky songs about her but thank you for helping."

Dustin beamed at me and punched my shoulder.

"Dorky and shitty songs," he corrected. My mouth twisted into a smile, and I rolled my eyes.

"You're lucky I missed you, kid," I said.

He beamed at me, and for a second, he looked like the kid I used to know. I couldn't believe how much he had grown up. I wrapped an arm around his shoulder and pulled him to me for an awkward hug.

"Come on, dork – let's find you a suit," he joked.

I had settled on a black suit with big lapels and flared legs. It was dated, but I looked cool as hell, and I knew Elle would love it. Dustin had also accompanied me to the store to pick flowers out for her too – I settled on sunflowers, deciding I would make a dorky joke about her being my sunshine when I gave it to her. She would probably roll her eyes but smile while making a mean joke about me.

I finished getting dressed, admiring my suit in the mirror back at my trailer. The suit was decidedly vintage, but I felt like a rockstar. Wayne leaned up against my doorjamb and crossed his arms, grinning at me.

"I don't think I've ever seen you in anything nicer than a flannel," he commented. I smiled and shrugged.

"You aren't as cute as Elle – don't have a reason to dress up for you," I quipped. He laughed and nodded, conceding to my point.

"Where are you taking her?" he asked. I grinned proudly.

"Enzo's – got us a reservation and everything," I replied. He raised his eyebrows and nodded.

"Elle is something special. I'm glad you made it right by her," he said. I sighed happily.

"Me too," I agreed. I started to gather my keys and the flowers, my nerves picking up. I patted his back as I walked by him. "See you tomorrow, old man."

"Bold to assume she'd let you back into her place. Be safe and treat her well!" he called after me. I turned, grinning as I walked backwards to the door.

"Of course – I'll be a perfect gentleman," I retorted before jogging to my van.

I clambered in, starting it and turning the INXS album I bought special for her up. I glanced at the sunflowers I had in the passenger seat and grinned. I looked out at the road, giddy about everything in my life. Giddy I had gotten the girl. Giddy I was taking her on the kind of date she deserved. Giddy that the kid who was like my little brother was the one who helped me get ready.