Small Rooms

I grabbed a couple of bottles of vodka from the supply closet, smiling at the fact that Elle insisted this tiny room was called her office. I stopped at her desk, tracing the different notes she had on her pages of inventory.

I left the small room, humming to myself and excited to see Elle again. She was so cute about us working together – how she would try to play it cool but come find me for a kiss, or when I would catch her watching me. She was more fluttery than normal, her laugh a little louder and smile brighter than normal.

I got out to the bar, glancing around for Elle. I froze when I saw her backed against the bar wall, terrified of something. I looked over at what she was terrified of and felt my blood boil. I slammed the bottles on the counter and felt like I was a man possessed.

"You've got some fucking nerve showing up here," I growled, leaning over the counter and slamming my hands down onto the counter.

I felt movement behind me and realized that Elle had shrunk behind me. I stood taller and reached behind me, taking Elle's hand and pulling her closer to me, still glaring at Eric. She pressed into my back, making herself small behind me. I felt an irrational wave of pride at the fact I was protecting her, but quickly came back to the reality of the situation.

"And you've got some nerve fighting like the fucking coward you are," Eric hissed. I scoffed at him.

"I'm a coward? Weren't you the one who cornered a helpless girl in an empty bar?" I shot back. His face broke for a moment, obviously flustered by what I said. His face twisted again, and he glared.

"She's not fucking helpless, and I wasn't going to do anything—"

"Could have fooled me," I snapped, cutting him off. Elle gripped onto me tighter, and I could tell her hands were shaking. I hated that this asshole made her this frightened.

"Everything okay here?"

I turned, furious with myself for not being at the door to stop Eric from coming in. I was relieved to see Grant – big, scary, overly-protective-of-Elle Grant – and I knew he would help me take care of this. Grant was studying Eric, trying to determine his next move.

"Grant – this asshole is the reason you hired me," I answered, pointing at Eric. Grant's face twisted in confusion, and then he turned a dark red.

"You!" Grant bellowed, dashing over to Eric and taking him by the collar and yanking him towards the door. Eric was terrified, in shock at the giant biker who was manhandling him. Several customers jumped up, shocked by the bar owner's sudden fury. We all watched as Grant dragged Eric out of the bar. I started to follow them to help Eric when I heard a quiet voice.

"Please stay," Elle squeaked.

I felt my heart catch and turned to her, scooping her into my arms without a second thought. She squeezed me close to her, letting out a shuddering breath. I ushered her to the back room, talking quietly to her.

"I've got you, sweet pea," I assured her as I closed the door behind us. She was still shaking as I sat in her chair and pulled her into my lap.

"I'm so sorry, I don't know why I'm so upset," she said nervously. I furrowed my brows and wrapped my arms around her. She looked at me, her eyes welling with tears. I set a hand around the back of her neck.

"Why are you sorry? I'm upset too, Belle," I replied.

She let out a sob and buried her face in the crook of my neck. I kissed the side of her face as I rubbed her back, pulling her tighter to me. She was trying to calm down but ended up sobbing harder into my shoulder.

"It's okay, baby," I cooed in her ear, continuing to kiss her along her face. She took in a deep breath, coming down a bit and pulling back to look at me. I smiled at her tear-stained face and set my hand on the side of her face to stroke her cheek with my thumb.

"You and your damn nicknames," she said weakly. I laughed and kissed her forehead. She let out a shuddering breath. "I'm so sorry, Eddie."

"Don't be sorry, Belle," I insisted, wiping her tears away. She shook her head.

"No, I am, you keep having to take care of me, and it's probably getting so old and so fucking lame," she explained. Her voice caught and I could tell she was getting herself upset all over again.

"Elle, I like taking care of you," I assured her, pulling her face close to mine. I pressed my forehead to hers and kissed her nose. "I like being someone you can rely on."

"I'm not supposed to be this needy, Jesus Christ," she whined, her face twisting again.

"Come here," I said, pulling her back into me. She nuzzled under my chin and let me hold her. I kissed the top of her head. "You're not being needy. I promise, I like being your protector."

"Well, you're very good at it," she croaked. I smiled and felt my chest swell with pride.

"I try my hardest for you," I quipped, trying to cheer up. She gave a small laugh and leaned further into me. My heart picked up.

I hated that she was upset, but God, it was incredible to be her comfort.

"Why would he come back?" she said quietly. I felt a wave of anger.

"I'm not sure, but I'm ready to kill him if you would let me," I replied. She shook her head.

"I don't want him to hurt you," she whimpered. I smiled.

"I'm pretty scrappy, sweet pea," I retorted. She snorted.

"You're a dorky metalhead who can barely walk without tripping over himself," she said, finally sounding like herself. I pulled back, grinning at her.

"There's my surly girl," I teased before kissing her hard. When I pulled back, she sniffled and smiled weakly at me. She wrapped her arms around my neck, and I scratched her back softly. She kissed me softly.

"Not as surly as I should be," she joked. I grinned and brushed her hair out of her face.

"It's okay, you'll make up for it soon enough," I teased. Her face filled with a smile that made my heart catch. She was relieved, it seemed, and she kissed me deeply. I pulled her close to me, grasping at her thighs. She sighed when she pulled away and pressed her forehead to mine.

"Can we stay in here for a while? I don't want...I just want to stay away from that for a while," she asked. I smiled and nodded, leaning back on the chair and letting her settle into me.

"I'd never say no to a small room with you," I joked, smiling when I heard her laugh brightly.