Chapter VII - Marcus' Tape

As before Tony did what he had been doing. And as before it took a minute before Hannah's continued.

"How many of you remember the Oh My Dollar Valentines? Those were fun, weren't they? You fill out a survey, and for just a buck, you get the name of your one true soulmate. And, hey, all the proceeds go to a worthy cause: cheer banners. The Dollar Valentines was a two-parter: Describe yourself, and describe what you're looking for in someone else. And, as I filled mine out, I realized I was actually describing a certain someone. You'd think if my answers all described one person...that person would at least appear in my Top Five. But no. I didn't match up to the one person who might really have been right. Maybe it wasn't my fault. Maybe none of us can say who we truly are. Maybe we're more than what the world sees. Or less. Maybe none of us are who we seem."

"Maybe I was stupid to keep hoping. Hoping for someone great. I always kind of liked Marcus. You always seemed like a good guy. Then again, they almost always do. Marcus Cole, welcome to your tape. What was it? Did you want to see if the rumors were true? Or did you just want to start some new ones of your own."

"And I just keep thinking...if only someone else could have had me on their list. Then maybe...maybe it could have all been different."

"I waited for you, Marcus. And I just had to sit there, wondering. Imagining. Playing over all the different scenarios in my mind. And all the while thinking that they all knew...everyone in the whole place...that I'd been stood up on Valentine's Day. I decided to give you one more chance. Stupid Hannah."

"And then you finally showed up. Except you weren't alone. And, again, you were funny, Marcus. And I thought maybe...just maybe it was going to be alright."

"I couldn't move. I couldn't get up and leave or scream. Anything would have been better than sitting there thinking that somehow this was my fault. Thinking I'd be alone the rest of my life. But through it all...you want to believe there are good guys in this world. I knew there were. I believed it."

"Fun Fact. I did some research on tombstones the other day. Or, more specifically, on epitaphs on tombstones. The best one I could find was by this writer called Henry Charles Bukowski, Jr. On his tombstone he has engraved the picture of a boxer...and beneath the boxer, two simple words: "Don't try." I wonder what will be on mine."

And that's where Marcus' tape ended.

"Evil Demonrat in the making." Brittany said rolling her eyes. Which got some chuckles as well as smirks because she was more than likely right. Fernando actually almost started to laugh, because he believed that she was very right, especially after listening to Marcus' tape.

In fact he and Padma exchanged amused looks.