Chapter VIII - Zach's Tape

As before Tony did what he had been doing. And as before it took a minute before Hannah's continued.

"You're going to tell me this one's no big deal...but let me tell you about being lonely. Humans are a social species. We rely on connections to survive. Even the most basic social interactions help keep us alive. Statistics prove the subjective feeling of loneliness can increase the likelihood of premature death by 26%. If it sounds like I'm quoting from a school textbook...I am. Too bad nobody bothered to read it. And let me tell you...there's all kinds of ways to feel lonely."

"I'm not talking the garden variety lonely in a crowd lonely. That's everyone, every day. And it's not that "when will I find love" kind of lonely. Or that "the popular kids are mean to me" kind of lonely. The popular kids are always mean. That's how they get popular. I know. Ironic. Old news. The kind of lonely I'm talking about is when you feel like you've got nothing left. Nothing. And no one. Like you're drowning and no one will throw you a line. Well, when the subject of this tape worked his sneaky magic...that's how I was feeling. And when you're that kind of lonely, you reach for anything...no matter how silly it may seem."

"And communications class could be supremely silly...as you know. Sometimes the silly can mean more than anyone knows. We all need it. Human contact. And communications class, crazy as it was, was human contact for me. Until someone in that class cut my lifeline...someone who is known for being sweet. I'll tell you who it is...but you're going to have to wait. Just like I did."

"I'm going to play mind games with you, just like you did with me. It happened after Valentine's Day...when you really feel that lack of human contact. Especially when you make contact with the wrong human. That's a whole new level of lonely. But through it all...you still want to believe there are good guys in the world. You were kind that night. You just sat there, letting me ignore you...until it was almost comical. You were so sweet. Just like Kat said, once upon a time. So sweet. Well, welcome to your tape, Zach."

"For those of you who aren't Zach, you can relax. For now, at least. As for you, Zach...I wonder if you ever felt what it's like to be lonely. Like I did that day. Is it even possible to know when you're one of the most popular jocks and not one of those kids who sits alone in the cafeteria, hiding behind a book? Have you ever noticed us?"

"You said something stupid, Zach...and I yelled at you. Big deal. You should have let it go. But you didn't let it go. You didn't like that someone told you no. 'Cause guys like you get anything you want, right?"

"Maybe you don't know what it's like to need a lifeline, Zach. The day after you insulted me in the cafeteria, my compliment bag was empty. Not even a cute bunny. By the end of the second week, I knew something was up. Maybe I should have let it go, but I didn't. I wrote you a letter. I poured my heart out, opening up about personal things, I hadn't had the courage to admit to anyone: How hard life was getting...how lonely I felt...and how those stupid compliments actually meant something to me. And then I set my trap."

"I was feeling desperate, so I texted someone I thought was a friend. I texted you, Jessica. And you said you'd come. And then you didn't. I get it, Jess. I gave you a ride home. That didn't make us friends again. So I guess I didn't have any friends...at all...anymore."

"You had to know I wrote that note, Zach. And you said nothing. You let everyone think it was Skye, why didn't you speak up? See, I have this theory, Zach. I have this theory that you're lonely too. Could that be possible? What kind of lonely could the great Zach Dempsey possibly feel? Maybe that kind where you think that no one truly see you. I know that kind of lonely. Do you?"

"No one knows what's going on in another person's life. And you never know how what you do will affect someone else. And if that goes for me, it must go for everyone. Even cheerleaders."

And that was where Zach's tape ended.

Brittany moved a bit trying to get comfortable while smiling a knowing smile.

"What's with the knowing smile?" Asher asked.

"That whole summer they did date...they even went all the way. But he had to ruin it." Brittany said smirking slightly.

"Wait. So what Zach said in Court was..." Clay started to say then cut himself off while looking at Brittany.

"Yes. It was true. But like I said. The idiot had to go and break her heart like everyone Justin did." Brittany said while looking cold and a bit angry.