Chapter XI - Sheri's Tape

As before Tony did what he had been doing. And as before it took a minute before Hannah's continued.

"Sometimes...things just happen to you. They just happen. You can't help it. But it's what you do next that counts. Not what happens...but what you decide to do about it. And I've made some very bad decisions in my life. As you know. I told you there were more stories about the night of Jessica's party, so here it goes."

"I wanted to leave. But where would I go? I was too weak to walk. Or just too weak to try. And then an unlikely hero came my way. Now I wonder if we would have both been better off staying at the party. Sheri, this one's for you."

"I needed to find a working phone. I wish I'd found it faster. So, yeah, that's the terrible decision. But it's not the whole story."

"I just needed to be alone. This was starting to be more than I could live with. I walked by their house three times the week after Jeff died. I even got their phone number and called. And didn't leave a message. I wanted to tell them. I couldn't. I know it was guilt I was feeling. And anger. I think lots of anger. Anger at the whole fucking world and the way it works. But mostly anger at myself. For what I could have had and never would. That's terrible decision number two. That's up next. That's another sad and stupid story. There's so much wrong in the world. There's so much hurt. I couldn't take knowing I'd made it worse. And I couldn't take knowing it would never get any better."

And that's where Sheri's tape ended.

"She finally did take responsibility for that." Tony started.

"And she even went to Juvenile Hall for a while after she did." Clay added.

"Good. Though she's lucky she was just sent to Juvenile Hall." Brittany said calmly.

"She's probably haunted by the death that was caused though." The Traveler said.

And everyone nodded in agreement at that.