Chapter 8

"Hey! What the?!" She jumped up so fast; his head spun as he sat up and faced a woman he quickly realized was not his wife.

She clamped her hand over her mouth, stifling a scream, her eyes as wide as saucers.

"I... oh my god... you're not my wife..." he stammered, the obvious, his face hot with embarrassment.

She rushed out of the tent, and he could hear her muttering under her breath as she walked away. Of course, Alyssa had hired a babysitter; it was Saturday night. What was he thinking? Worse, what was that poor woman thinking now?

"Shit...what'd I just do?"

He followed her into the kitchen to apologize and make sure she was okay. Her back was turned, and she had switched the light on. He attempted to get his head together and forget how she felt in his arms as he stared her back, her long chestnut hair tousled from sleep.

"Uh, hey, I'm really. I thought you were my wife; her hair is similar to yours, and - well, shit, I'm an idiot."

She sighed and turned; she looked oddly like Alyssa, with similar hair and eye color. However, this woman's eyes were soft and soulful, unlike Alyssa's cat-like stare. Her cheeks were flushed a light shade of rose, the same shade as her plump lips. He stared at her dumbly for a second; she was just so beautiful he forgot everything at that moment but her. 

He shook his insane thoughts out, reminding himself he was very married. He realized then that she was doing everything she could to not look directly at him. Looking down at his boxers explained that as he remembered he'd stripped down. He wanted to bang his head into a wall.

 Could this get any worse?

"I'm uh-- Why don't you just take the tent, and we can do introductions tomorrow." She stammered; her soft voice brought him out of his stupor. 

She pretty much ran out of the kitchen and down the stairs. He let out a breath he hadn't even realized he was holding.

He walked over to the freezer and opened it sticking his head in for a few seconds, willing the feeling of that girl's soft, warm body next to his to go away. It had been a long time, but he was faithful. He always had been. Sure, he may have fantasized about a woman from time to time. But he never felt this damn...he waved the freezer door open and closed, trying to clear his head with the cool air.

"Daddy?" Gavin's confused voice broke his thoughts.

"Hey, Gavin!" He jumped up and shut the freezer.

"Whatcha doing up so late?" He looked down and gave him a smile attempting to get ahold of himself quickly.

"It's really you!" Gavin exclaimed.

Rocco scooped him up and gave him a big hug and kiss. "I missed you so much, champ."

"I missed you too, Daddy."

"Let's get you back to bed," Rocco said. Gavin yawned again and leaned against him.

Rocco carried them back to the cute tent this mystery babysitter crafted for him and helped him back inside.

"Where's my Auntie Dani?" Gavin asked in a tired voice, and he settled in.

"Your Aunt Dani?" he murmured.

Dani...Aunt Dani, as in Danica, Alyssa's sister. He just crawled into bed with his sister-in-law!

So, it could get worse.

"Yeah, where did she go, Daddy?"

"Oh, she went downstairs because I missed you, and I wanted to sleep in this cool tent."