Chapter 19

Dani was feeling a little buzzed after the second game and a few shots. She wondered where Rocco had gone; it had been a while since she had seen him. She and Lexi decided to sit out and watch Bobby and Jared play Breanna and Alana. They stopped keeping score and were just tossing the bag around after a while. Bobby and Alana were showing Gavin how to throw, and he was having a blast.

"Hey Dani," Jared came up behind her, and she jumped.

"I'm sorry," he said sheepishly, "I didn't mean to sneak up on you."

"It's okay," she smiled. "Apparently, tequila makes me jumpy."

"I know this is going to sound all cliché and cheesy, but would you want to take a walk on the beach with me?" he asked, his eyes twinkling with hope.

"I would love to," she curtsied all cheesy like herself and giggled.

He took her hand, which she wasn't expecting but didn't mind; she felt her heart racing as they parted from everyone.

This is perfect. He's cute, sweet, and likes you...he's allowed, she told herself.

They kept walking silently for a while until he finally stopped. She glanced at him, and he gave her a boyish smile.

"I'm just going to say it." Jared said finally, "I am mad, crushing on you."

"Um, thanks," she said with a little giggle; she felt dizzy; how many shots had she had?

Focus, she told herself. This was it; he was going to ask her out, he was cute and sweet, and after a few dates, she'd forget all about the things she couldn't think about. She prepared herself to say yes as she saw him preparing to ask her.

"Would you want to go out sometime?" he blurted out, his cheeks flushing.

"I would," she started, and before she knew it, she added, "but I just got here, and everything is so crazy right now. I need time to settle into my new place and job before I date."

The words flew out of her mouth before she could stop them; she didn't even mean to say them, and there they were. He looked dejected, and she felt terrible for him.

"Hey, no pressure, maybe coffee?" he said sweetly. "Like a friendly coffee at my sister's shop or something?"

"I yeah, a friendly coffee," she stammered, suddenly feeling uncomfortable.

"I'm sorry this is not going well, is it?" He gave her a weak smile, his eyes defeated.

"It's not you, Jared. I swear if it wasn't for I..." She didn't know what to say between being drunk and confused about her feelings, but she didn't want him to feel bad. Had she met him a week ago, she'd probably be swooning.

"It's an ex or something, right?"

"Yeah," she said, more like, or something, but he didn't need to know that.

"Well, a new location and a new job can do wonders. Trust me." He smiled easily and she felt better, he didnt look too let down. "I'm sorry if I was too forward." 

"You weren't, not at all. You're a good guy and smart... funny... cute..." She smiled at him, happy when that sad look lifted from his eyes.

"You sure we can't go out?" he chuckled. 

"Can we be friends and see?" she asked.

"I'd like that." 

"Alright, Buddy, let's get back," she giggled.

When they returned, the sun was just going down; most everyone was sitting on the porch except Lexi and Bobby, sitting on the sand near the beach. Lexi got up and ran over when she saw Dani.