Chapter 49

Rocco spent most of Saturday morning trying to explain to Gavin that yes, he saw Auntie Dani  but that he couldn't tell anyone. He felt rotten for making his son lie, but soon, he had to end this soon so he could make it okay, for all of them. 

He couldn't wipe the smile off his face. Nothing felt better than having Dani in his arms all night. After so much longing for her, he had her for a few brief hours, and it was everything. 

He no longer cared what Dante had to say, he was going to find a way to make his family work, and his family was Dani and Gavin. Even if he lost everything but Dante's share, that was fine so long as they could be together. 

As he got Gavin settled in for a late afternoon nap, Rocco curled in with him; he snapped a photo of the two of them and then sent it to Dani with the caption, wish you were here, like literally right here.

Dante would kill him for that too, but he didn't care anymore.

He was tired of forcing the three of them to suffer; he knew Alyssa would rather take the money than go through a big court battle; he just had to offer a high enough price. He'd make sure it didn't affect Dante's share, but he was done.

Some fights were worth it, and some weren't. Fighting Alyssa for his fortune or fighting for a future with Dani. The choice was obvious as day.

Jeanie agreed to stay with Gavin, and Rocco headed to the firm to tell Dante what he had planned, whether he liked it or not.

He saw that both Dante and Alana's cars were parked and found that odd; as he headed up, he heard noise from the conference room and walked in.

Dante and Alana both jumped when he walked in, but his eyes went to the screen, showing a view of his living room at the house.

"What?"

Dani walked into the frame and looked nervous, wearing one of Alyssa's tiny white dresses.

"...is going on?" Rocco demanded.

"Just stay calm, Rocco. It was her plan," Dante said as Alana got up, shut the door, and placed her body in front of it.

"Why are you what?"

A knock at the door from the screen got Rocco's attention, and he turned to see Dani letting someone in.

"Well, hello, Little Lamb,' Eddy's voice filled the room.

"What is she doing?" Rocco demanded. "Move, Alana."

"Just wait, Rocco, no," Dante urged.

"She said she can handle this," Alana assured him. "Lexi is right outside the house."

"Come on in, Eddy; I'm glad you came," Dani said shyly.

"I was surprised you called," he kept getting closer and closer to her, circling her life like a shark circling its prey. 

Fuck, Rocco had heard quite a bit about him from Jeanie apparently he was living at the apartment all this time. Dani was not safe around that guy! 

"Move! I'm getting her out of there." Rocco demanded, but Dante came to hold him back.

**

Dani focused hard on staying calm and one step ahead of Eddy; she only needed to keep him here long enough for Alyssa to walk in. She knew he was suspicious about why she'd have called him from the house phone as she did, but he was still curious enough to come.

"I, um, Alyssa slipped me drugs last night," she said, and he looked stunned. 

"Now, why would she go and do that?" he asked as he ran a hand through his shaggy hair. "You must be mistaken."