Chapter 13

Rocco was moving happily around the kitchen; he loved cooking. It was a hobby that always helped him relax. He was touched that Dani took the time out of her day off to bake for them. He enjoyed her company the more time he spent with her. He had gotten along fine with Mary but never established a personal bond.

Dani was so different from her sister, and he was innately curious about that. He supposed not growing up with Katherine raising her was likely a big part of that. But he didn't get the sense she had an easy life by any means; there were times when she looked haunted, and he wondered by what.

Gavin helped him cook but got bored with the long waiting and stirring. Rocco was making chicken pasta with a white wine sauce, which took him quite a bit to simmer and was perfect.

Rocco found some animal coloring books Dani bought, and Gavin was thrilled with them. He got him settled down with a book and some crayons and went back to working on the meal.

"I made a picture for you, Daddy," Gavin announced after a little while.

"You did?" Rocco stirred and adjusted the temperature of the sauce before walking over to look at it.

"It's the giraffe!" Gavin exclaimed as Rocco took it with a smile. "He's cool, like you daddy."

Gavin had scribbled many different colored lines all over the picture, but Rocco did notice he had picked orange, yellow, and brown, very close to the Giraffe's actual colors.

"This is so awesome, champ," Rocco enthused. "Thank you!"

"Welcome, Daddy," Gavin smiled.

"I make one for Auntie Dani and Mary and Uncle Dante." Gavin declared, dumping more crayons from his box. "Lexi too!"

"That's a lot of pictures," Rocco noted. "That's gonna be some hard work."

"Yeah," Gavin agreed.

"What about Mommy? Are you going to make a picture for her too?"

"Oh yeah, I make mommy one," he nodded. "And Kiki too."

"Right can't forget about Kiki." Rocco shook his head and headed back over to check the food. He wondered if it would bother Alyssa that she wasn't on his list of adults he colored for. Knowing her, she'd likely think it was nothing, but it wasn't. Creating things was a child's way of showing their love to you; it was huge.

A loud banging on the door interrupted his thoughts and startled him and Gavin.

"Who is here?" Gavin jumped down from his chair and raced toward the door.

"Hold on, Gavi," Rocco quickly got ahead of him.

They banged again; he looked out the window and narrowed his eyes at Katherine.

"Katherine, what are you doing here?" He flung the door open. "And why are you trying to break my door down?"

"My daughter," She gasped. "Danica, I think she's missing...I can't reach her... you have to help me."

"What?" He raised his eyebrows.

"She called a few days ago needing help, and things got sticky; she got upset, and I haven't been able to reach her since. I called the local police, who told me she had left town. I don't know where she could have gone. I know she has no money." Katherine walked in and began pacing back and forth.

"Gavi, will you go in the kitchen and wait for Daddy?" He turned to look at Gavin, who was staring at Katherine with wide, curious eyes.

"Hi, Gamma," Gavin said.