Bonus Chapter!

This was for a Christmas Special I ended up not writing but as  a thank you for all the reads I decided to share it as a bonus chapter!!

I hope you like!!

December 2013

Serene Heights, Vermont

"Alright, so we got the diaper bag, the snacks, your giant purse, extra toys, a change of clothes for the baby, and blankets," Rocco rattled off.

He surveyed their large oak table, covered in enough stuff for a week-long trip when they were only going for an afternoon. "Anything else?"

"Sandwiches, I think I better make some..." Rocco glanced up to find his gorgeous wife Dani with her head in the fridge as she trailed off. She was dressed in a cozy red sweater dress with black leggings, her rich chestnut hair in a messy bun.

"We have snacks..." Rocco reminded her.

"I know, but goldfish crackers and fruit snacks aren't much. I think I should make some just in case." Dani fretted as she set the bread and lunchmeat down on the well-used and slightly cluttered center island. She bit her plump lip in that adorable way she always did as a thoughtful look shined through her deep brown eyes. "What if Gavi gets hungry?"

"We're going to the mall. There is a food court there," Rocco pointed out. This was the first time they'd taken their newborn baby on an outing, and Dani was understandably nervous.

"If we're packing up the car anyway. I'd just feel better if we had food," Dani said as she began spreading the mayo on the bread.

"Gavi, can you bring this stuff to the car while your mom makes emergency sandwiches?" Rocco asked, biting back a snicker as Dani shot him a look.

Gavin looked up from the table where he was sitting and coloring. His thick brown hair was cut into a short, boyish style, showing off his bright green eyes. He flashed a big gap-toothed smile as he bobbed his head. "Sure, Dad!"

Gavin was so excited to see Santa. He was already up and dressed in his Frosty the Snowman sweater, ready to go before Rocco made coffee. He was six this year and in first grade, and it could be one of the last years, he believed. Rocco and Dani wanted to treasure every moment of it.

Christmas meant everything to his wife. The first year the three of them spent together as a family was magic for Dani. She said seeing everything through Gavin's eyes was like seeing it herself in a new light. She didn't have an easy upbringing, and she was fiercely adamant that their children have lives full of beautiful memories and traditions that they would carry on with their kids. A sentiment Rocco couldn't agree with more.

"Oh, good. I was going to suggest emergency ham," Rocco teased as we walked over, an easy smile spreading over his face.

"You poke fun now!" Dani mock scolded as she pointed a piece of bread at him. "You never know what might happen. You may thank me for these later."

"Just make the sandwiches we'll throw away later, Valentine," Rocco teased.

"Humor me, Babe." She lined up the bread and started assembling the sandwiches. "Can you get the baby while I finish these?"

"On it," he kissed her cheek, then snaked a piece of ham before he left, munching on it as he headed up the stairs.

Rocco and Dani's room was at the end of the hall, and it was a little messy, with random clothes strewn about and a bunch of Gavin's toys. A laundry basket in the corner overflowed with clean clothes they'd yet to put away. It was hard keeping up with stuff with a new baby, but neither Dani nor Rocco minded it. It was welcoming to Rocco after the nightmare of the sterile and cold house from his old life.