Chapter 45

By late Thursday evening, Rocco had finally set up the apartment. It was nice. It was a little small, but the open layout helped.

He liked the huge windows with the fantastic views of the city. He ended up buying all new furniture to finish it. But he spent most of his time in Gavin's room. He wanted to make sure he was comfortable and happy when he was here. He made sure to get him a good comfy bed with a Sponge Bob bedspread and matching pillows.

He hung several different animals over the walls. And a cool fabric activity board he was able to Velcro to the wall, and there were many games Gavin could play on it.

He set up a tv and DVD player in the dresser facing the bed. He stood back and looked.

"Perfect."

For now, he grabbed some boxes of extra sheets and blankets to toss in the closet.

"What's this?" "Now, why would you need this at a photo studio." he bent down to pick up a fuzzy pink handcuff from the bottom of the closet.

The second Dante mentioned this was an apartment; he knew something was up. Alyssa's quick and over-the-top reaction in front of her attorney gave it away.

She used this place with someone. Maybe even multiple someone's. Now he'd just have to prove it.

"Knock-knock?" He heard a voice and stepped back into the living room.

He still had the door propped open from moving stuff in. At the entrance, an older woman with dark hair streaked with gray hair was holding a Tupperware.

"Hi, I'm your motherly neighbor bringing food." She laughed. "Jeanie."

"Hey, Jeanie. I'm Rocco. Is that lasagna?" He asked.

"It's frozen, but it heats easily." She handed it to him, and he happily took it.

"Thank you." He said with a grateful smile.

"Sure!" She smiled. "I saw how hard you worked and figured you were hungry."

"I appreciate it."

"Anytime. I got to get to work, but if you ever need anything. Apartment 202."

"Okay, nice meeting you!" He called after her.

She seemed nice enough. She also seemed like she'd be the type to gossip. That could come in handy.

**

Rocco wrapped up the day at the office much earlier than he'd thought on Friday. He had told Alyssa two, and it was only noon.

He didn't want to sit around for two hours. Not today. Today was the day Dani was flying home. He did everything he could to keep his thoughts and emotions at bay. The only solace he had was knowing she was getting out of there. Things were about to get ugly, and he'd never have to worry about her being dragged further into it. Even though he didn't get a proper goodbye, at least he knew that much.

He didn't bother calling Alyssa. They avoided communication for the most part since their meeting earlier in the week. They did most of it through text. Fine with him. It's strange how once you finally allow yourself to hate someone, everything they do is annoying. Even her voice now just grated on his very last nerve.

He pulled up to the house and noticed he didn't see Rebecca or Alyssa's cars. The car they'd got for Mary and Dani was parked out front, though.

Maybe Rebecca likes to drive this when she's here. He thought, though it seemed weird.

He knocked, but no one answered, so he let himself in.

The house was quiet and spotless, as usual.

"Gavi?" He called out. To no answer. "Alyssa?"