Chapter 33

It was just getting dark when Rocco pulled up to the mountain resort they'd be staying at.

He was quickly in and out of the office cabin; he picked up their keys, some firewood, and a couple of bags of food from the little market inside. The woman at the store warned him to make sure to get a fire going right away. It was supposed to storm tonight and could get cold.

He packed everything into the trunk and got back inside the car. Gavin was awake listening to Dani, who'd climbed into the backseat while he was gone, to tell him a story.

"So, then Kiki and Gavi and all their friends decided to fry up all the fish they caught and eat 'em up" He glanced back at her and gave her a little smile.

"I bet we can do that this weekend too!" Rocco said, and Gavin's eyes lit up.

"Yeah, Kiki and I fish!"

The cabin Dani chose for them was the furthest down the long windy road from the main office cabin. It was tucked away and surrounded by forestry. He parked the car in the driveway in front of the house. The yard was huge, which Gavin would love.

The outside of the cabin was perfect, exactly what he had in mind. It was a log cabin with a big porch and picture window. Dani was carrying Gavin this time, and he had their bags slung over his shoulder. He unlocked the door, and she went in ahead.

He followed her inside and dropped the bags on the floor. His jaw dropped. This was, well, almost was, the same cabin he'd dreamed about. There was a closet right next to him in the walkway. Then he walked right into the open space.

The kitchen, which looked almost the same as his dream other than some different appliances and a giant table, sat on one end of the open space, and the cozy living area with the fireplace on the other. It was furnished with two brown plaid couches and didn't include the medallion above the fireplace or any further fine details from his dream, but it was similar.

How was this possible? Of course, he'd never told her about his dream, and even if he had, she couldn't have found an almost replica of it. This was beyond weird.

"I put Gavin to bed in the first bedroom." She walked back into the room and grabbed the bags Rocco had dropped earlier.

"I'm just gonna check in on him." He said quickly, hoping she didn't see how flustered he was.

He hurried into the hallway, and it even looked similar. The first room was simply furnished with two twin beds and a dresser in the middle. Gavin was sound asleep in one of the beds with Kiki tucked into his arms. He leaned down and kissed his cheek before leaving.

 He peeked into the second one, silently hoping it would not have a pink teddy bear. Luckily it didn't; it was also slightly bigger and different from some of his dream. It was also furnished with twin beds and a dresser, like the last room.

He stared at the bedroom at the end of the hall for a few long moments before braving himself to go in. Logically he knew Alyssa wasn't going to be in there and wasn't going to be sporting a bloody knife. Still, he felt a chill as he turned the handle and opened the door.

He almost laughed at his sheer ridiculousness. The room was just a room, unlike his dream room. Unlike the others, it contained a queen bed but also had a smaller cot in the corner of the room. This room had an attached closet for a wardrobe instead of a dresser.

He heard a clap of thunder in the distance.

"Oh, the fire!" He recalled the lady warning him and hurried out to get it started. He could already smell the wood burning and heard the crackling before he got there.